Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird Noises and Coolant Leak (Vids/Pics)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Weird Noises and Coolant Leak (Vids/Pics)

Engine: Z16XE - 66K(ish)

I'm not a mechanic by any means as the following will show but I will do bits myself if I have an idea of what to do

I have a few issues and looking for a bit of advice of cause and remedy, if possible. Before I mention the faults, I will say my rear silencer is blowing badly and will be replaced soon, unsure if this is linked or not. Also it could do with a full service, which will be done soon aswell. All levels are fine, inc coolant. Running temp is about 86/7. Cambelt and waterpump were done less than 5K ago, October 09.

I have no real running issues and use the car daily, slight loss of power lower down but I'm putting this down to the exhaust blowing. It does sound like a tractor though.

- First weird noise is like air escaping when you hit the accelator sharply, can't see any loose vacuum hoses. It started when my EGR went. It sounds like it's coming from around the general EGR area. I had a brand new GM EGR fitted in Jan 10. It also makes the noise when underload, albeit a slightly more metally sound like the heatshield is rubbing.

- The second weird noise is a high pitched whine coming from near the brake fluid reservoir. No idea what this is but it is irritating.

- Third issue is coolant seeping around the edges of the radiator. It's not dripping leaving a puddle when running or anything, just seems to be seeping out slowly at certain points now and again. No major loss in coolant level over the past 3 months, dipped very, very slightly but still near max. Click for bigger pics.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    First vid sounds like theres no air filter fitted. second vid sounds like the power steering pump. most ive seen make the same noise from the pump but they do get noisier when they are on their way out.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's just the standard paper filter in the box, it's possible its torn though. I will open it up at the weekend and have a look.

Bloody hope it's not the power steering pump! I've not had any problems with the power steering so fingers crossed it's not that!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The pump doesn't sound loud in the vid. it sounds normal to me.

The air sound defiantly sounds like theres no filter. or a split in the intake pipes maybe. check that the intake pipe from the airbox to the front of the car is connected properly.

The radiator looks like its had its days im afraid looks like the seals have gone. you can get it reconditioned. im not sure how much a new GM radiator for yours is new.
    you can get one from a company called fast rads. they are excellent for price, service and quality.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    £42.50 from fast rads w/air con. Shouldn't be too big a job to remove and refit. I'll rad weld it in the meantime.

Cheers, I will have a look at the intake pipe, airbox and filter at the weekend.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Once the rad is removed you can get a good look at the intake pipe.

I had a GM rad here for over a year. only yesterday i flagged a scrap man down and gave it too him along with some other old bits i had lying around. its not worth fitting a secondhand rad though as ive seen a few go in the same place.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yea the rad isn't something I would bother risking with a second hand jobby. It's a bit of a false economy in some respects. I know how to change the radiator, aslong as the coolant drains OK it's an easy enough job

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Update on this, I've checked the airbox, intake pipe and filter. Everything is fine and as it should be, the filter is a little dirty so cleaned it a bit until it serviced but still making the noise.

I think it's the EGR valve leaking but have lost my torx bits so will need to wait until tomorrow to whip it off. It's possible that it's not tight enough or the gasket is the wrong way around but I shall find out.

Anyone have any other ideas if it's not this? It's definately coming from that side of the engine (right, EGR side), possibly the front. Will give the manifold bolts a check aswell, no cracks that I'm aware of.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Check they're a gasket fitted with the EGR.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hope you havent Radwelded the radiator yet! Nasty stuff. New one is easy enough to fit. I did mine last year

The sound from the intake is the same sound you get if you jab the throttle and have an open cone filter. I have a new filter element if you want it, but its for a 1.8.

Not sure what the whining noise is though, they only usually do that when you steer. Have you checked the level?
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast