Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choices on cylinder head work...

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Choices on cylinder head work...

Looks like I may have two choices in respect to the cylinder head going back on my engine. Both are being pressure tested tomorrow to see what the situation is, however I have a few options still:

1) Have my own cylinder head tidied up in the ports, valve faces cut at 3 angles, seats at 3, skimmed. Told this in itself will give a nice performance increase with the improved flow over the valves alongside the slightly raised compression ratio. Benefits are I know the head's history 100% and it is sound (200).

2) Have the ported cylinder head fitted, likely with the same valve seat/face work as above. This does appeal in getting at least some value from the crap engine I bought, however the work is not perfect and I'm a perfectionist, though this head would probably give a better overall performance and economy increase vs option 1 (Likely 200 as well).

3) Get my cylinder head sent to Courtenay for their full gas flow/port work including valve face/seat recuts and also valve stem re-shape. They reckon on 10% torque/bhp across the whole rev range and a nice economy improvement too. Advantages are probably fairly perfect work vs the price at 465 + carriage either way so easily 500.

I'm in ways torn between 1 and 3 - 1 is an improvement, perfect, but not everything I'd like to do, though 3 is a fair bit more money...

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Actually stuff Option 3, their prices have jumped to 595!

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Option 1 for me - you have control over what's to be done

Do you know how well the other head was ported? It's not just a case of waggling a die grinder down the hole and waggling it about, like a lot of fok seem to think. Unless you have seen bench flow test data to prove it's been done correctly (ie balanced) then you might be flogging a dead horse

Do Courtenay do their own work? I'd wager they outsource, so in that case send it to whoever they contract out to, and save cash paying by not paying the 'big name' just to charge you extra for the handling and logo attaching

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I believe Courtenay do their own stuff, however I'm with you, the work on the 'flowed' head is unlikely to be balanced, in fact I would guarantee it isn't. McKeans do have a flow bench but I may have to pay for them to test the head on there.

At the moment, work on my own head now, new cams in 12 months seems a better option Should still let me see the sunny side of 130bhp and 140ftlbs

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    I believe Courtenay do their own stuff,
    That would surprise me greatly. The few times I've dealt with them they didn't seem to have a clue what they did.

K'in WOMBATs IMO

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Lol, fair enough

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Well blow me down with a feather, the flowed head is actually a good one! McKeans are more than happy for it to be used on an engine and have no concerns with it at all

Gas flowed and gas powered it is then!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thats good news. so you gonna use your original bottom end with the new head you bought? what went wrong with it then?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yep

Not 100% on the issues with the 'purchased' engine, guy who took the head off suggests the piston bores on cylinder 1 are scored quite badly so it suggests a piston ring fault, but it hasn't been stripped fully.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok not too bad then. at least you are able to use it. fingers crossed mate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast