Thread: Oil leak

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Oil leak

Today I was sat at the lights and noticed the oil light had come on, No prob I thought, topped up a litre of oil as always keep some in boot...any way when the car gets to about 1800 rpm he lght goes out... Had a smell of burning oil and when I looked u der the car i could see it dripping on the cat... I was just about to leave for work so quickly jacked it up and saw that the engine was wet onrhe side, it looked like it was coming from the area with the oil pressure switch.. Well I think it's that, on the side by the cam belt?? And way got to work, and nus checked the level and all fine but a small patch say the size of a side ate under the car, no dripping but it does look a bit of a mess under the car... Oil splasjlhed all over.. Sump is wet, as is most of the areas under and around that side of the engine.... I do 70 miles aday to and from work with the car.. Times are hard at the mo so can't really afford massive bills.. I read that the oil pressure switch is known to leak on some models.. Could this be the case?? Seams it could be that as the oil light goes out when the revs are up.. Hence pressure is up in the engine....

Any thoughts? Also are the sensors cheap? Looks lime a pain to get to.. Easy job of leave it to te pro's??

Cheers

Neil

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    very rear oil pressure switch goes or leaks but if does easy to replace and cheap enough. I had a bad oil leak and all oil was on bottom of engine and sump soaked and bad smell of burning and it turned out it was my 'TURBO' the internals had failed and gaskets gone and thus allowing oil to escape, it got bad and blue smoke was coming out of back, so just replaced it with a VXR turbo. cost £1000 including new pipes & gaskets e.t.c so just hope yours is NOT a 'TURBO' if it is get this checked!

If not just check usuals
    1- oil pressure switch
    2- oil filter seal
    3- rocker gasket
    4- oil feed/pickup pipes
    5- sump seal

thats about it really, other than that get booked into a garage as plenty of them now offering FREE HEALTH CHECKS so surely if any probs a good garage should pick up on it for you!
    220 B.H.P Zaffy GSi Turbo (2004)
    Live Life In The Fast Lane, Get A GSi! E: enbracefan@o2.co.uk

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for that... got under the car yesterday and had a good good look and clean up the oil.. started the engine and saw the drips forming off the end of the oil pressure switch... under the car with it running and pressed the connector in to the switch and it came pissing out so think its def gone...tried and tried to get the blasted thing off but had to admit defeat and booked it in to the local garage tuesday morning.. £25.00 but its all done and i'll get them to clean up the engine where all the oil has leaked out.....

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oil leak

My Gearbox has a major leak, i could smell oil at the weekend which then developed to a noisy gearbox, i have jacked the car up today and refilled the box, run the car in 1st gear then had a look underneath the oil was gushing out from between the bottom of the sump and the gearbox? I had the box reconditioned and pelequin diff fitted last year and it has been fine until now.

Any ideas

Phil

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    common for gearbox leaks, can get a replacement gasket set and green paste for it, easy to do but would need ramp so just get a garage to do it! wont be dear.
    220 B.H.P Zaffy GSi Turbo (2004)
    Live Life In The Fast Lane, Get A GSi! E: enbracefan@o2.co.uk