Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 155,000 miles and you could eat your dinner off it! Inside a Z16XE...

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

155,000 miles and you could eat your dinner off it! Inside a Z16XE...

Stripped my engine down today, surprisingly easy job really. Hardly a mark on it, no discernible bore wear on 1 and 4, with a teeny tiny bit or wear on 2 and 3 on the bore wall in the centre of the block. Hardly a mark on any crank and piston shells/bearings either. No sludge build up anywhere, a tiny bit of gunk in the sump. For those with 'high mileage' NA engines, in ways there was no need to take this engine to bits, the wear on the engine was so minimal it would likely do the same miles again without worry.

After having it checked over by McKeans in Dumfries they are looking to re-hone the bores, polish the crank surfaces where the bearings sit and fit new piston rings. Total of £300 all in. For those that remember it, if the currently fitted 'gas flowed' head is checked out by McKeans (they have a flow bench) and is good to use, then it'll be mated with my rebuilt bottom end. If not, they'll cut the valves at 3 angles, the valve seats at 2, tidy up the inlet/exhaust ports and skim the head for an additional £200. With the valve work and port tidying they reckon this is likely to flow as well as the head I have already, with the skim giving a nice little performance increase by upping the compression ratio slightly.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I take it you use decent oil and change it frequently ? Looks in great condition.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Nothing special - Vauxhall semi-synth every 20,000 miles. Owned car since new - ran in as per owners manual guidelines, oil change at 10,000, 20,000 then every 20,000 after that.

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    your car has obviously been well looked after and maintained, that engine internally is in superb order

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    very well looked after, have seen engines with half that milage looking 100 times worse off.

wish i had the know how though to be able to strip an engine down and rebuild it.
    Mk5 2.0l turbo sri. now dead
    but riding around in a mk6 2.0l cdti sri

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    It wasn't overly hard to be honest. We had the benefit of the engine already being out of the car which was a major help. Started the strip a little after 10, 30 minutes for lunch and loads of chatting, and it was in my boot on the way to Dumfries by 1pm.

Only issues were to ensure the head bolts were removed in the correct order really.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mines done 128k ahah maybe i should think about stripping it down and have a look see whats going on by the way its only a little 1.4 16v

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra Van 1.7 DTI
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Very nice, Looked after well. I have the Z16xe, may do mine when i have a few more miles on the clock.

Mark

MK4 Astra Van 1.7 DTI Sportive

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Now that is a clean engine!! Looks incredible for that mileage, nice to see the engine lasting very well!!
    Carbon Black Astra Coupe Turbo

Stage 2

The Car:

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    My advice really is that even with comparable mileage, unless you have problems with the engine, don't bother stripping it. It would likely have reached 200,000 easily and still be going strong, even without the recon work it's going to get.

It's never been serviced outside of Vauxhall intervals, though the driving I do is all ~60mph so the engine is always warm which is the best for reduced wear.

Throw anything but a paper airfilter in the bin too!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast