Thread: gsi smoking on tickover plz help

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation gsi smoking on tickover plz help

hi name is graeme new to the site so any help is very much appreciated just bought a gsi on 50k mileage and had it bout 5 weeks an noticed a really bad smoking on tickover it doesnt seem to be blue but does smell oily and is using oil at the moment the oil is also a bit dirty an due a change.it smokes on start up till the auto choke goes off but it has got a de-cat and sports cat fitted but once it gets warm an i go for a drive on idle it smokes like mad an gets worse the longer it gets left.noticed in the history file it has had a regal vxr turbo but wasnt on long as it was faulty so it had another an has only been fitted 4k ago an now this is happening dont no sod all bout these engines ive just upgraded from a 106 gti so please if you lot could chuck me a few ideas as im clueless.
    my dad wants to do a compression test to eliminate things i must say im very suprised as its only done 50k an has a turbo timer fitted so thought that would eliminate an abused car an like i say a 4000 mile old vxr turbo.
    im in work tomorrow but ill be back on to check the repplies when i finish i just dont wanna be blowin loads like on my pug thanks a lot graeme.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Might be the turbo seals mate as they are prone to go on those and that sounds like the usual symptom of seals going but wait till you get more replies as i may be wrong.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    anybody else point me in the right direction?? id be straight on the case to regal if it is this as the turbo has only covered 4k.cheers

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have a z20let coupe and that was smoking like a bitch, turned out to be turbo AND piston rings

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How about a blocked breather hose

there are two coming from the cam cover one on the front edge (right hand side) and one on the top edge (left hand side)

mine smoked when these were blocked

i now have blue smoke and it is not the turbo, more than likely the stem oil seals or piston rings
    End of an era - She's gone to a good home

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok thanks mate,is this a common thing then?? im so so so gutted because ive had the car 6 weeks and its been looked after dont no where to go from here to be honest.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its one of those where u could be lucky or very unlucky mate...
    check the hose of the bottom of the turbo to intercooler,if oil starts flowing out then your seals are gone

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You could find out if it has the oil restricter bolt mod on the turbo as ive known people to benefit with these on their VXR units as i have one on mine as well.