Thread: Any ideas on x16xel mods??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Any ideas on x16xel mods??

having decided not to go down the turbo route im im keeping my 1.6 16v sxi mainly due to costs and not using it as much as i'd want to because im in the forces.

So im hoping to build a sort of unique X16XEL i no people say its pointless but ive already made a 1 off intake system,and cat back with better spark plugs.
    im now looking at improving air intake and considering a 4branch mani and maybe a de cat so could any one offer any home made inlet secrets or larger throttle bodies off different engines im on a tight budget so any mods insights or secrets or even where to get parts for cheap will b greatly appreciated thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no one got any ideas????

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    double post, sorry.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    been covered plenty of times, try searching

alternatively, start with the sticky thread at the top of the forum http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=180543.

alternatively, a list to get you started:

start with a good service and making sure everything works properly... then...
    1) derestrict airbox, and fit larger intake. no real power gains but bit of improvement in throttle response
    2) free-er flowing manifold, pref. 4 branch. - 5-10bhp realistically. moreso with other mods.
    3) free-er flowing exhaust inc decat front pipe. similar gains to manifold.
    4) mantzel-style powerbox, will give you 20-odd bhp extra for a hundred quid or so.
    5) remap, will give you another 10-20bhp if in conjunction with the above.

Alternatively you can look into throttle bodies, or a dbilas turbo kit if you wanna lay out bigger money.

the X16XEL as found in the Mk3 Astra can be relatively simple to tune to 150bhp, i.e. 50% up on standard. I had mine to 115bhp (a 25% increase) without even fitting a mantzel or having it mapped.

the mk4 X16XEL is slightly different, but the basic principles are the same. There's plenty of info on here, on MIG, and on google to get you started
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.