AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Follow Glacious On Twitter Add Glacious on Facebook

Headunit / Sub Problems :(

Hey All

Well I'll get right to the point, basically over the last 2-3 days when playing music the headunit would randomly flash up Mute but only for a split second then it would unmute and carry on playing music so it would sound like the music is skipping and then as of yesterday the sub has just turned off and I cant get it to come back on.

The amp is still getting power fine all the cables around the sub and amp are fine and I took the headunit out and all the cables there seem fine along with the fuse on the headunit. I am stuck as to why this has happened. There is a single wire coming off the back of the headunit labeled Mute and this is obviously what the headunit was doing could it be a problem with that wire somewhere down the line?

Ever since the sub has stopped working the headunit doesn't mute anymore....

Confused!

Any help would be great!

This is what is installed in the car:

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    The Mute problem sounds like the phone mute wire was maybe touching off a ground point behind the head unit.
    On your JL amp, at the RCA end, there are two LED's. Are any of the LED's lit?
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hmm I do have a parrot hands free kit installed in the car as well, I am going to go check the RCA LED's now.

Thanks SQ Man

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I just checked the Amp and I only have 2 LED's which are located next to the Red and White Audio leads that go from Amp to back of headunit, one saying Power thats lit up bright green and the other is a red LED which is not lit up.

I assume the Parrot hands free kit is somehow hooked up to the Stereo but I can actually see where, and would this affect the Sub not working??

thanks again in advance

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    OK, parrot will be fitted on the head units speaker outputs, so it wont affect the RCA signals.

Your amp is powering up, but not going into protection. You either have no signal going to it (faulty head unit or RCA's) or you are getting no output (faulty amp or sub).
    Do you have a spare set of RCA's or an old head unit you can temporarily swap in to try & see whats happening?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Unfortunetaly not I dont have a spare RCA or headunit , The system was only installed 3-4 weeks ago by a company in Cambridge so I should go back to them I guess, Just Ive checked the obvious things I think it could be and checked a few bits you've said so it cant really be anything to simpe, just seems odd how it was muting itsself and now sub has stopped working :\

And yep it seems to be powering up fine the amp, and the protection LED is not coming on, checked as many fuses as I can.

Abit stuck now but as you said I am maybe beginning to think a faulty headunit.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    In that case, get the car back to them & have them check it over/sort it out for you.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yea think Ill have to now as all the relatively simple options have been looked at.

Thanks for advice though SQ Man

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had the same problem with a pioneer unit. As said above the phone wire had been caught between the stereo and the cage causing it to do this

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Went to audio shop and I have apparently overdriven my sub :| I have stayed within the levels they told me since I brought it and its burnt out, was told not to go over 52 on volume and highest Ive had and gone is 47 and now its burnt out.

They are trying to get me to pay for a new sub :| Do I actually have much ground to stand on here???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast