Thread: Temperature Guage Not Working

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Temperature Guage Not Working

I'm calling this thread 'Part II' because there is already a thread on this subject and while my proble is the same there is a twist to it and it has not yet been resolved. Here it is:

Similar to Lockylew in the thread referred to my temp guage has not been working for quite a while and neither has the heating. I presumed the t/stat was faulty so I checked it and found that it was jammed open. I replaced it yesterday and the heating is now working fine. I also replaced the sensor but the guage still does not work. I should also have mentioned that I replaced the water pump and timing belt last week as it had not been done for close to 50,000 miles.

I have noticed that on 2 occasions when turning on the ignition while it was still fairly hot that the needle surged to the red warning marks and back down to zero straight away. All other displays are working normally, including backlight in the drivers console. I wonder would the ECU have developed a fault (but no fault code appears) and how I might go about sorting this before I use the garage as a last resort!

Thanks in advance,
    martinjr

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like a nightmare

My temperature sensor isnt working either but i intend to get stuck in early next week, when i come across the problem il let you know so you can check if its the same fault.
    I <3 Speakers so i do

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for reading post etc

That's great. There is just one more thing I'm going to do: check that the wiring isn't broken. I cannot do the 2 wire trick, 1 to earth etc as I believe voltage would hit the ECU.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    I've heard the MK4 instrument panels can fail so it might be a idea for you to get a tech2 test done on the car
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Drives
    astra 1.9cdti 3dr 120
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    had same problem and it was my ECU , temp fix was putting earth onto the circuit! shows up as voltage too high