Thread: Finaly got my door fitted

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Finaly got my door fitted

Final got round to getting the door fitted to my Astra a few days ago. I had been on holiday in America, so that is one reason for not being able to do it. Just before I went away though, my door came back from being sprayed up.
    I must say it turned out pretty darn well. Aside from some overspray on the window, which I had only wound down, since I didnt fancy taking the glass out and putting it back in. A brillo pad put paid to that, and didnt scratch the glass.

However that wasnt the fun part. Once I had got all the door handle all fitted I decided to press on with fitting the door. Got the old door off, no problems, banged out the pins and the door came off without a hitch. It wasnt untill i tried to fit the new door that I found out that the hinges where out of alignment, probably due to the hit.

So I had to put the old door back on for the time being

Yesterday however some friends of a work colleague helped to refit the door at their lockup where they strip out jaguars for banger racing. Unfortunatly I dont have pics of this, but the hinges where filed and hit with a hammer and when the door went on, it lined up perfect first time (did I forget to mention that the guy who did it was a professional panel beater?)

(just got home from being fitted)
    and so the rest of the evening was spent putting the rest of the stuff back on the door, such as the door card and the rub strip

The paint match wasnt too bad either a little darker if anything, but still better than a massive dent.

The only slight problem was the door shut line at the bottom where the cill was welded doesnt quite sit right, but still not too bad all in all

After everything was sorted it worked out to cost roughly £100 to replace the door, including having it sprayed and help in fitting

So all in all the car now looks loads better, without that nasty dent. All I gotta do now is finish up that rear arch and all should be good and proper
    Probably the ONLY Astra Mk3 sitting on Corsa D SXI rims!
    And Now a Diesel on Discs all round!

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=162503

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as your car looks non mettalic here i would recommend a deep polish on the other panels of the car around the sprayed door. this may make the colour look a little closer.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers fella, will look into that perhaps in the near future, but may also consider having the rear quarter sprayed sometime as well, to get rid of some nasty scratches. That and as well as the drivers door, which i may replace alltogether as well.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the same problem. had dent in drivers door. bought 1 off ebay. different colour. so got it sprayed its ok.
    but the hinges were out. so my neighbour got out a 12 inch angle grinder, and took a chunk out of 1 of the hinges. aarrgghh wait on. but too late.
    went to fit it. wow fits nicely. no difference at all.
    use to Drive a 1.8 sxi 16v.
    but joyriders these days can't drive.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, its a right nightmare when things dont fit like they should. It is a little unfortunate that Vauxhall dont use the bolted on type hinges instead of the jig welded ones. Much easier to adjust if things get tweaked. Mine was only out by about 1.5mm but that was enough to stop the door fitting.

Looks spot on now though. Spent all day polishing her up ready for a show tomorrow.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1.5 mm exact same ere lol. but me friend took off like 10 mm. coz he only had his big angle grinder. thought the door was going to bounce all over the place after taking that much off.
    use to Drive a 1.8 sxi 16v.
    but joyriders these days can't drive.