Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Snapped Key

Hello Chaps

Bit of advice please , bit desperate here....my V reg 1999 ASTRA key has snapped in half , i have both parts.....the fob is simply for the remote locking , hasnt worked for months anyway so have been opening the door manually , My other half is at the locksmiths now , they are saying they can copy the key , as a key , not a car key , son that at the least i will be able to get into the car, which is a start

Is there anyway i can marry up the fob thats attached to the broken key with the new key , to get the car going ?

Any advise welcome !!!

Dan

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,
    Yes, as far as i know as long as you keep the original fob on the same keyring as the newly cut key you should be fine as the transponder chip needed to start the car is inside in the fob, it worked fine on my mk3 astra for ages anyway. Of course you could always just get a new blade for your remote locking key and get that cut, this would make it good as new, you can get 1 off ebay for £12.80 incl postage: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT Its simple to change this over to your original fob. First solloution is a quick fix for today however, second solloution for the long term. Good luck!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjoesim View Post
    Hi,
    Yes, as far as i know as long as you keep the original fob on the same keyring as the newly cut key you should be fine as the transponder chip needed to start the car is inside in the fob, it worked fine on my mk3 astra for ages anyway. Of course you could always just get a new blade for your remote locking key and get that cut, this would make it good as new, you can get 1 off ebay for £12.80 incl postage: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT Its simple to change this over to your original fob. First solloution is a quick fix for today however, second solloution for the long term. Good luck!
    Hi mate
    cheers , thanks for that , i was hoping that may be the case...as i was thinking if i just touch the metal of the broken key thats sticking out of the fob onto the metal of the new key as i start the car , that may just start it , i hope so , getting married next week and driving (supposed to be!) to cornwall the next day but cant afford the £120 +VAT that the autolocksmiths want !

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    where about are you mate, i had an auto locksmith come to me last night got a new chip for my current key, and he made me up a spare key (no remote locking on it) for 100 quid

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No problem, You shouldnt even need to touch the 2 metals against each other as the transponder chip operates separately of the actual blade itself, as long as the chip communicates with the transponder around the ignition barrel (i.e that you have it close enough to it) the car should start and hopfully keep running, remember that if you take the fob away while the car is running it will cut out, the chip must be near the cars transponder at all times while the car is running, thats why i was saying leave it on the same keyring as the newly cut key, I would reccomend you splash out the few pound needed to get the proper blank off ebay though so you can put that on your fob. Good luck with the wedding, locksmiths, the robbing b*****ds!!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    lol might be robbing swines, but dealers are even worse,

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjoesim View Post
    No problem, You shouldnt even need to touch the 2 metals against each other as the transponder chip operates separately of the actual blade itself, as long as the chip communicates with the transponder around the ignition barrel (i.e that you have it close enough to it) the car should start and hopfully keep running, remember that if you take the fob away while the car is running it will cut out, the chip must be near the cars transponder at all times while the car is running, thats why i was saying leave it on the same keyring as the newly cut key, I would reccomend you splash out the few pound needed to get the proper blank off ebay though so you can put that on your fob. Good luck with the wedding, locksmiths, the robbing b*****ds!!

Cheers John
    I am off to get the key at Lunchtime and will try it in a bit (car still in the compound at work) and let you know mate , and thansk for the advice about keeping it on the key ring etc and getting the new blade and getting that cut...much obliged !

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, thats true, I went to the opel dealers here a few years back and it was something like €140 just to get a regular key with transponder copied, got a blank key off ebay for about £6, got it cut for £3, got myself a cheap op-com unit and programed it myself, job done for a fraction of the price!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    update chaps....... the newly cut key on the keyring with the fob and the broken key does start the car but almost immediatly it dies......gutted !
    I have spoken to a diagnsotics chap on the phone who has advised me (if i need to do it as cheap as poss) to remove the steering column attach the fob , with a cable tie to the ignition barrel , i will lose the immobiliser but i need the car , like yesterday !!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    There is a little grey chip (about 2mm square) that is in the section between the key blade and the fob - that is all you you need. The pickup is around the ignition barrel, so you just need to remove the steering column surround and tape it to the pickup for the car to run.

Is the EML flashing? that normally indicates a immobilser fault/problem.
    Now drives : 2002 Astra SRi Turbo in Black
    PREVIOUS ASTRA'S : 1990 GTE 2.0 8v | 1993 1.4 GLS | 1994 1.6 Cesaro | 1995 1.8 16v Sport

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast