Thread: Bloody Igniton Barrel !

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bloody Igniton Barrel !

So last night, finished work everything was great, niped in the petrol station on the way home to grab a redbull came out, key wouldnt turn!

After trying a spare key and everything else i could think of for about an hour had to get the AA out to get it to turn over.

A hour later, so i have been sitting like a lemon now at the front of a busy petrol station unable to move for 2 hours the AA man turns up.

The guy new of the problem and said it was a common problem on astra's says dont worry we should be able to get it to turn which after have a tube of lube and 10 minutes of jiggling he did.

I though great it works, panic over until he said now the only problem is if you turn it now to the off postion it proberly wont turn again and will cost you a bomb to replace!

He advised me to leave it at a local Vauxhall for them to sort in the morning, but there was no way i was going to leave my pride and joy outside garage over night with the Key in it, all be it with the transponder taken out.

Anyway its now sitting in a mates garage, with by now more than likely a dead battery.

Waiting on VX to call me back to see if they can get the correct barrel in tomorrow for them to replace as i dont want an off the shelve one as then ill have to replace all the locks.

Rant over

EDIT: VX saying £107 Inc VAT and fitting. Is that a good price?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ahh mate, that sucks big time. I would not be happy, i can imagine thats a kick in the balls.

I can understand why you didn't want to leave it with the keys in its basically asking to be broken into if you did.

I don't know anything about prices of ignition barrels so can't comment on that sorry =/

Foz
    1.4 16v Mk4, Kings Blue
    Tinted lights, de-badged, Calibra 15" alloys, Heko Wind Deflectors

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Aye, altough I suppose technically not a major problem but a very annoying one.

Anyone know how to get my battery going again with the key turned to the 1st postion?

Im worried about frying stuff.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    My ignition went 3 years ago and only cost £43. I fitted it myself on the forecourt in about 20minutes (theres a how to knocking about). They did have to order the barrel and you need the security information card with the key code.

HTH
    Whiteline RARB & Strut Brace with Eibach Pro, Bilstein B4s & RnD Droplinks - FARB Powerflex'd

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok not too bad then, as stuff does seem to get more expensive as it gets older.

Ye I gave the VX guy the Code earlier, so im just hoping its arrived tomorrow so they can fit it.

Is it a common problem on MK4's?

Also anyone have any idea's as to my battery question above?

Cheers