Thread: toyota mr2.. your thoughts??

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

toyota mr2.. your thoughts??

was lookin at buying one of these for a summer run around, you can get ones in decent condition for 1.5-2K (obv high mileage cos of the age!)

just wondered if anyone had any experience of owning one of these and what they are generally like to run?

cheers

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    btw it would be a mk2 2.0l not the turbo import (cant afford the insurance) forgot to clarify!

always loved these since i was a kid!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Two of my mates have had an MR2 both were imported though, they always said they were fast cars but very thirsty and working on them is expensive and an absolute b***h due to engine access.

Also the Tbar developed a leak and so in heavy rain my mate got wet. He did look into replacing the seals but they were very expensive from toyota.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i used to love this car, my old man had one many years ago, these days i think there past it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not cheap to run these days and quite tail happy, easy to stick the rear out on a wet roundabout. Good fun though.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Great little cars mate, get one past 1996 to get the 168bhp engine I think.... same as my celica, engines go on for ever if looked after..
    Celica T-Sport , Audi S3 , scania r series

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    i just sold my astra for one 2 weeks ago, amazing to drive but likes a drink haha, paid 1500 for it with 96000 on the clock and a full respray from a bentley garage lol

dont think ill look back now lol
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...-s-VXRed/page1 - My VXR - AOC Top 10 Winner PVS 2013 - 304BHP Powered By RS Tuning & Arc Reactor

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thats gorgeous mate, how did you get it so cheap with a respray?

the engines are sound as far as research has told me, and with regards to the back end coming out they fixed that so the post 94 one are fine...

apparantly they do combined mpg of 31 which aint bad really, but obv if you drive normally you wont get anywhere near that.

think i want a white one thought so will keep looking

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lukeyboi89 View Post
    and with regards to the back end coming out they fixed that so the post 94 one are fine...
    they put a brick under the right pedal did they???

Tbh the MR2's no matter what they "fixed" are always going to be tail happy, mid engined rear wheel drive with no weight at the front means.... the back will swing round to meet the front at times especially if you have a heavy right foot

they are good cars but imho not worth buying if you arent getting the turbo,
    Stanceworks.com.... Low IS a Lifestyle

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skipz View Post
    they put a brick under the right pedal did they???
    In late 1992 (for 1993 models), Toyota changed the suspension geometry for both the NA and Turbo models. The rear toe rods (that control the toe-in of the rear tires) were lengthened to reduce toe-out during bump travel and the inner pivot points for the toe rods were relocated on the suspension sub-frame. At the front, the geometry was changed to roughly double the amount of anti-dive,[citation needed] but the new control-arm design eliminated caster adjustments.[citation needed] New springs lowered the ride height at both the front and rear

thats what i got off wikipedia, so at least its made a bit of a difference so i wont be dieing in a spin so easily...

but i like the look of em but its damn hard finding a sub 100,000 mileage one thats been looked after for a decent price!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast