Firstly, I must apologise for only coming on here when I have a problem. I hugely appreciate the help, I'll try to put more back from from now onwards.
I've just changed the cam belt and have a horrible tapping and metal on metal noise from that area. Upon first hearing it, I cr*pped myself and stripped it all down again to check it. It all seems fine though.
Facts for you:
- All of the pulleys turn perfectly including the new water pump.
- It all turns quietly as normal when the timing belt is on.
- When you add the crank shaft pulley when finally assembling it, a very slight metal on metal noise can be heard for a couple of degrees every rotation.
- Having the aux belt off makes no difference when the engine is running.
- The engine runs fine and drives as normal, apart from the noise of course.
- It was making a bit of a noise before the change but only very slightly. The water pump bearings had gone though so I had assumed it was that.
So, I'm hoping the crank shaft pulley is rubbing for some reason. It seems like the first thing to check at least. Can I run the engine with the crank shaft pulley off? Or is that a big no-no?