Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noise after cam belt change. Can I run without crank sensor?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Noise after cam belt change. Can I run without crank sensor?

Hi all,

Firstly, I must apologise for only coming on here when I have a problem. I hugely appreciate the help, I'll try to put more back from from now onwards.

I've just changed the cam belt and have a horrible tapping and metal on metal noise from that area. Upon first hearing it, I cr*pped myself and stripped it all down again to check it. It all seems fine though.

Facts for you:

- All of the pulleys turn perfectly including the new water pump.
    - It all turns quietly as normal when the timing belt is on.
    - When you add the crank shaft pulley when finally assembling it, a very slight metal on metal noise can be heard for a couple of degrees every rotation.
    - Having the aux belt off makes no difference when the engine is running.
    - The engine runs fine and drives as normal, apart from the noise of course.
    - It was making a bit of a noise before the change but only very slightly. The water pump bearings had gone though so I had assumed it was that.

So, I'm hoping the crank shaft pulley is rubbing for some reason. It seems like the first thing to check at least. Can I run the engine with the crank shaft pulley off? Or is that a big no-no?

Much appreciated

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just did the cam belt on mine,left the crank pulley off to save time putting aux belt back just to take it off again if something was'nt right (it did'nt start without it) if the sensor cant see the crank wheel it it will not start

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well that's scrapped my plan . Thank you for the quick reply though; you've saved me some trouble.
    Hopefully something will be obvious when I take it off.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is the bottom t/belt cover on right ? but that dont explain the metal on metal noise. try it with the aux belt off (crank pulley on of course)that would rule out the aux tensioner, alternator and p/steering pump from making the noise well it would on the Z16se as the aux belt turns all 3.

what engine ?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just realised you said with aux belt off makes no difference sorry about that.yeh got to be something not right with the crank pulley

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've tried that unfortunately. I'll try it with the pulley on but the cover off tomorrow. I'm hoping there will be some obvious marks on the pulley. It sounds like it's on the outside of the engine (fingers crossed) so assuming it's not the timing belt side of things, it only really leaves the crank shaft pulley. I might be pushing my luck though.

It's a X18XEI, Astra G.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    little noises coming from engines, as trivial as they may sound (lol) they are f****** annoying.
    Hope you figure it out mate!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This exact same thing happened to me last week on my Astra G. New timing belt kit and waterpump and the exact noise you are getting. Took crank pulley off and it stopped. Put it back on and the noise came back but i had to go to work so drove it anyway.
    By the time i had got to work the noise had stopped and has not come back since. I have put it down to the bottom cam cover as this is plastic. My car has done 69k and the cambelt was still original, so in theory the bottom cover has never been taken off before and may have warped, and will probably never 'sit' right and tight like it did when it left the factory nearly 10 years ago. If this theory of mine is right all that will happen is the crank pulley will simply cut a small notch into the plastic cover as it turns until it no longer touches, which will stop the noise like it has on my car. HTH

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ahhh you may be on to something - I noticed the plastic cover slightly worn on the bottom edge when I took it apart after round 1. You may have just made my day!

I'll let you know what I find in the morning. Fingers crossed.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Glad to be of help. A quick run for a few miles should sort it. Im pretty sure that no damage can be caused to the engine etc. Well my car is fine now and the noise stopped after about 1 minute on a 50mph road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast