Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Noisy Air Con

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but have lurked for a while. I've got a 2000 (W) Zafira 1.8 Elegance and have had the air con back on this weekend. I've made sure that I've ran it during the winter as recommended but have noticed that when idling it knocks quite loudly. Once driving the sound goes away but returns at idle - although not all the time!

I'm assuming that this sound is signalling the imminent and expensive death of the compressor. The air con still works perfectly however. Air con is essential for me as I suffer with chronic hayfever and cannot have the windows down during the months of June & July. The auxiliary belt was changed recently but I'm assuming that if this was anything to do with it it would have snapped by now. The sound only occurs when the air con is switched on.

Does anybody have any ideas or should I start to dig deep?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    have you looked at the aux belt when the car is idling? If it is jumping all over the place then that may give you a clue. Seen a few systems that rumble a bit but putting more gas in fixes that. BErst bet would be to let someone thats knows take a look methinks
    Be Happy