Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Help! - Fault Code 0505

Hi All,

I really hope someone can help. i recently posted thread where i had some issues and fault codes http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=248844

I have now managed to clear 2 of them and am left with only one:

0505 - Idle Control System Malfunction

The problems im getting are when crusing the car wont stay at a steady speed. if i try to maintain 50 mph for example, the car feels like it loses power and the speed starts to drop. i put my foot down to compensate and there is a second delay and all of a sudden the car jolts forward with power and picks up speed but i cant keep it at one speed, and this process repeats. and im constantly putting my foot down, taking it off, putting my foot down, taking it off.

I know theres ways of cleaning the ICV, but mine is a sealed unit attached to the throttle body. if the ICV is faulty and needs replacing, would that mean il have to buy a complete unit including the throttle body?

car details are: 1.8 16v sport - 1999 v reg - i believe its an X series engine

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    u dont mention if youve ever cleaned the TB?

if not do so pronto

whip it off and soak it in petrol , clean it to within an inch of its life - whilst ur at it, remove the EGR valve and give that the same treatment

if you have done so then its time for a replacement throttle body as the ICV on the X18XE1 is built into the TB as u state. these wear out over time and considering the engine last saw production in 2000 most are starting to show signs of wear and needing replacement.

EDIT: just saw ur other thread and mentioning the regular TB cleaning - which then points me in the direction of a new TB im afraid!

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    as GB says it is sounding like a new throttle body is required. i was worried about this in my last post as i said, the P0505 code being constant. i had a mates SRi come up with this code last year, cleaning it all out seemed to settle it down for a short while but in the end he had a new throttle body on it. brought the whole car back to life afterwards

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good point GB - But i do clean the TB and EGR valve on a regular basis..... S im guessing a new TB it is then.... Damn it! lol

Any idea on a rough price?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    look to be around the £200 mark (best price at dealers is £173.12+VAT on trade club)

http://desc.shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_...&bkBtn=&_rdc=1

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers GB...... Have to get the funds now lol

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    GB and Steve - What are your thoughts on getting a 2nd hand throttle body? Or would you avoid at all costs?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just an update - i replaced the throttle body today, cleared the codes and as soon as i got about 800m down the road, the EML light came back on showing same code 0505.

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions as to what else i could try? Really bugging me now

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can anyone help at all? This is really starting to bug me and as been going on for over a month now

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    was it a 2nd hand or new throttle body, once fitted it needs to be configured to the ECU via tech 2 or the expected engine speed will be out of synch with the actual figures. you will be able to see these distorted fuigures if you have op com or other scan tool

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast