Thread: electric windows help!!!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

electric windows help!!!!

i have an astra van 2002 which has manual windows for which i have bought some motors and looms which i took from a donor astra i have fitted all the mechanics in place and changed the wiring looms and door cards etc but i still have nothing happening i dont seem to have any power is this an easy fix to just run some power straight to it with an in line fuse or just come from the fuse box and run my wiring from there i dont have any fuses in the fuse box for the windows but how will i tell if there is the wiring in place coming from the car to the door eg how many wires should be going to the door loom
    any help will be great thanks ...... i am fairly competent with electrics so if there is any wiring diagrams etc would be usefull
    thanks in advance

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Look in the door looms for a fat brown and fat red wire, if these are there the under carpet wiring is there at least so you'll only be missing the dash part of it which is easy to get around
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    there is no thick red but there is a brown wire coming from the car side of the loom is this the ground ,can i tap into some power somewhere and run my own cables if so which ones also where would i tap into for the accessory live for the switch is this just a live that comes on when the ignition is on i know i will have to run a cable from the drivers side to the passenger motor i take it to where the switch controls the motor , can i just run a permanent fused live straight from the battery to the motor and a accessory live from the cig lighter point to the switch and then ground it off to the chassy or is the brown wire in my loom the ground it is in pin 1 or 2 i think down the bottom of the connector
    thanks

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Your post is difficult to read.....

Forget about the brown you have, it's really not worth going onto this for the one wire.

Take the permement live to the rear of the fuse box, same with the accessory live and then just earth it at a bolt in either kickpanel. You'll then just need to run a pair of switch wires from one door to the other
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sorry for the confusion new to this . where would i connect to at the back of the fuse board would i connect to where they would have gone to ie pins 17 and 20 for the permanent live and 15 for the accessory live thanks

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    If they are there yes otherwise get a voltmeter out and test the wires

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is it easy to get he fuse board out i noticed that there is a couple of screws at the top do i just take these out and lever it down , i dont want to damage it by yanking it out !!!! thanks for the help was thinking it was going to be a nightmare but doesnt sound too bad(with the help of someone with the knowledge).

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    You don;t get alot to play with once you have undone the screws. It's easy to get at from behind the instument panel but you won't be able to switch the accessory on to test the wires with it unplugged

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the help mate if i run across any poblems when doing it ill post a new message
    thanks again

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks autosparks took a whole day but got it done with your help,not as easy as first thought but still managed it. Your assistance was invaluable without it would have had wires every where. thanks again +++++++++++++