Thread: rear brakes, OM actual G!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

rear brakes, OM actual G!

hi, thought id have a go at my rear brake pads tonight and its been a total nightmare!!!

i just cant get the piston to go back atall, its sooo tight! ive even clamped the brake fluid line and took the line off the caliper and its still seriously tight, is there something im missing regarding the handbrake??

also i pulled the rubber piston sleeve out of its place and it looks like its gonna be a right be to fit back in place, any tips?

and to top it off my dad put my brake fluid cap on my engine and now its dissapeared off the face of the earth! excellent! wish id have just played xbox!!

any help would be amezin!!!!

ps. i have got the handbrake off lol!
    !Astra Coupe Turbo!
    243bhp and 334ft/lbs!

Status
    Trader
    Mentioned in
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Add 888dan on Facebook
    sounds like the piston is seized in buddy , id take it fully out and give it a good polish up and clean out the bore and then put it all back together and hopefully it should go back in easy

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok thanks for that mate, ill try it tomorrow! the piston itself looks in excellent condition but will have to check the bore. any ideas on how to get the little rubber sleeve back in place?
    thanks! :-)
    !Astra Coupe Turbo!
    243bhp and 334ft/lbs!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When doing my rear brakes a few years ago letting the handbrake off was not enough, we had to remove the gaitor and losen the handbrake cable from there, there is a small bolt, I think its 8mm but could be wrong. Just to check that you are using a proper wind back tool as well?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the handbrake is fully let off so theres no way of having it back anymore even if i adjusted it, errrrm ive been trying to use a g clamp to try and push it back.... do i need to wind it too?
    !Astra Coupe Turbo!
    243bhp and 334ft/lbs!

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yes the piston needs to be wound back in, there is no way you can just push it. V V easy to do if you have the proper tool, about £20 from Halfords.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ahh i seeee! ive only ever done front pads before, i know a mechanic who just said he will lend me his wind back tool tomoz :-D.
    thanks for the help!!
    !Astra Coupe Turbo!
    243bhp and 334ft/lbs!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Yes as mentioned by Buckle the caliper wind back tool pushes the piston back at the same time as it is wound back in. Be carefull not to wind it too far in as it can damage the seals. It should be the last job you do before re-fitting the caliper that way you can trial fit the caliper with the new pads onto the disc to get the right distance of the pad to disc and minimise the amount of fluid beig pushed back up the system. Take your time with it also as going at it heavy handed can cause the seal in the master cylinder ot flip.
    Hey YOU See Oooour Reeegin Noooo ! Toss Yer Caber Here