Thread: Componant Help-fitting/wiring quieries

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Componant Help-fitting/wiring quieries

Im looking at gettting some of these MTX road thunders fitted as my passenger side is crackling, but i have a few questions im unsure about .

• starting with the speaker adapters, i understand you can make MDF ones but for me this is not good lol....so if i got plastic ones, secured them tightly and then put some Dynomat over it will that stiffen it up and eliminate possible rattles. Iv read MDF ones are better but would putting dynomat around it solve this?

• Also brings me on to fitting this dynomat, take it you just clean surface and stick it without leaving air holes ect ..... was thinking about just getting the dynomat that just goes around the speakers(to eliminate rattle like expalined above) but is there any other areas it would be useful(other than all over) ?

Thirdly-wiring them up and fitting them-havent a clue!

• Would there be a real noticable benifit of changing the speaker cable that is there now from the HU to the origional speakers?(hoping not as this sounds like a mare)
    • Where do i screw the cross over to?
    • and finally how does it get wired up? at a guess its :
    HU(origional cable that is already feed through the door)----to-----crossover-------to------speaker and seperate tweeter ( i take it it will tell me what one is what, weather its for tweeter or speaker)

and just while im typing on the line of speakers, if i was to dynomat the whole door would this just be a case of sticking the matting down (if i didnt mess around with all this layer stuff and spraying stuff on) would it be worthless.

By the way this will not be amped but are running from a sony HU. just looking for a little louder, clearer sound

Cheers

James

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    1) Yes, proper MDF is the better option but what you are planning will definietly do the job.

2) Give the metalwork a wipe over with thinners or panel wipe to remove any grease, then when it's dry apply the Dynamat. Rub it down well, with a roller if possible.
    Have a look here for more info. http://dynamat.com/technical_install...tion_menu.html

3) As you're running them off the head unit I don't think you'ld notice any real difference by upgrading the cable (unless your own is starting to break).

4) Crossovers will go behind the door card, try to get some double sided tape (number plate pads will do) & stick it down with that.

5) The MTX crossovers connect between the Mid & the tweeter.

6) Dynamatting your whole door will definitely help your sound, plus your door will sound havier & more solid when you close it. I have about three full sheets of Dynamat on each door, mine closes with a thud, no tinny rattles at all.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I got some flashing tape from Halfrods for fraction of the Dynamat price, not sure it's gonna be as effective as dynamat but i'll post the result tomorrow when my speakers come.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Been prooved countless times before that flashing tape doesn't even come close to Dynamat.
    Dynamat is specifically designed for sound deadening cars, flashing tape is designed to seal guttering & leaking roofs.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have seen some cheaper sound matting on e bay, im not to to fussed about doing the whole door as its quiet expensive but the non dynomate stuff is reasonably cheap...what you recon?

Secondly i may well do it properly and make MDF brackets, how would i do this? i also noticed you can buy them too but i think they are just spacers and not what i need???

Thanks v much for all your help makes so much more sense now, been thinking about ti for ages but it was too much of a headache lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    With sound deacdening, like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.
    The good stuff is more expensive for a reason, it does a better job.
    What you can do with one layer of Dynamat will quite often require two layers of other products.

To make your own MDF mounting rings start with an offcut of 18mm MDF.
    Using the inside of your new speaker grille trim ring as a guide, mark a circle on the MDF & cut this out with a jigsaw. The hole should be just big enough to comfortably fit your new speaker.
    Now using the old car speaker, position it centrally on the hole in the MDF & draw around the outside edge of it & mark the three mounting holes.
    Cut the shape out of the MDF using a jigsaw & drill out the holes for the mounting screws.
    Do a quick trial fit to check it is OK, if everything is fine, make a second one for the other door.
    If you need more depth to mount the speaker you can cut out a suitable ring of MDF & screw it to the mount.
    Paint the MDF mounts to seal them & prevent moisture getting into the MDF.
    Fit you new speaker mounts to the door & fit your new speakers to the mounts.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks very much mate. I did also read somewhere that you have to seal around between the mdf and the door? also any specific paint or paints that wont work?

I know these questions have probably been asked loads before but how much DM would i need to cover each door? thinking its maybe worth while as I have an annoying rattle from the drivers door by the door pin.

I understand that inside the door there is a waterproof seal or film. what's the risk of breaking this and do you fit the mat over this??

Also while the door cards off is there anything that should be greased up or anything, in case the matting doesn't stop that poxy rattle.

great help mate, thanks! at a guess you install this sort of thing for a living??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    All depends on how good a job you make of cutting the MDF mounts, if it's accurate they should sit flush to the door skin. If you want to, you could put a small ring of Dynamat offcuts under them to act as a gasket.

I have the plastic sheet removed on mine because I have sealed all the openings with Dynamat. I have approx 3 sheets of Dynamat on each front door, I have the inner & outer skins covered, several layers immediately behind each speaker, all the openings sealed & the rear of the door cards treated with it. I also have my entire boot floor, rear quaters & roof panel all done with a single layer of Dynamat.
    The plastic sheet is secured with glue, if you're careful it can be peeled off for access & re-secured once your finished.

You could give the glass guides some silicone spray lubricant.
    The rattle will be from your lock mechanism or the lock rod going to the pin. Try using a bit of foam to cushion the rod. This is one of the applications for the new Dynaliner product, but it only comes in 3 sq ft sheets.

Funnily enough, no I don't fit car audio for a living, but I have been into my car audio for many, many years now & I have also been seriously involved in car audio SQ competitions for some years.