Thread: MK4 Fuel on motorway?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

MK4 Fuel on motorway?

Hey guys, i've been having loads of problems with fuel consumtion on my MK4, its a 2.0l sri... please see this thread:

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=243084

I am usually getting around 230 miles local driving to a full tank! (£55~) which is awful! I have recently got the car serviced... and I filled up a full tank (£56) and was on a long motorway trip.. I have done 270 miles and I've still got over quarter of a tank? That is more like it!

Now i'm unsure whether it's because i've actually serviced the car or because it was just a motorway trip?

What do you reckon?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    more than likely motorway trip but obviously the service has helped a bit. iv found that around town my 1.8 sri seems a bit thirsty. got to half a tank bang on and iv covered 155 miles.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've found that my 1.6 16v is a bit thirstier around town than I imagined it to be, however when travelling to and from work today (pretty much 45 miles of motorway driving) the fuel dial hardly moved. Motorway driving is much more economical, but things like oil definately contribute a lot to your fuel consumption. I was getting terrible MPG before my last service!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Motorway driving tends to use a lot less fuel, as you need only maintain a speed, rather than accelerate/brake. If you really want to hypermile, then drive at 65-70 (no faster) and perhaps try and draft some lorries (not recommended). I can get 45-50+ mpg on the motorway by doing this in my 1.8 16v. Thats 500-550 miles to a tank if I were to run it to near empty.

However, do some fairly spirited driving around town and country roads, and my mpg quickly falls to the low 30s.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I only get around 260 miles from a full tank on my 1.6SXi

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    With the bigger engines its amazing how thirsty they get when you give it some. My 1.8 drinks fuel like it's going out of fashion round town but kept between 60 and 70mph on the mway I can easily get 40-45mpg. Just drive sensibly - over 70-80mph air resistance drastically increases and so does fuel consumption, unless your in a rush, keep it sensible!
    2000 1.8 CDX money guzzler a.k.a Bessie

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I went down to bournemouth the other day, which is about 250 miles there and back from banbury. Pretty much all motorway and i managed 55mpg on an 11 year old 100k mile astra. I would normally do 40 mpg round town and country roads. This is the 1.6 8v model.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well when I have time, I switch on my cruise at 60mph and let her role.
    For a 250 mile journey it only takes 20 minutes longer but I do 55 mpg and thats with a 1.8 automatic !

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my last full tank i got 306 miles, cost me £57. thats with around town driving and a mpg of 25.8. not sure if thats good or whatever lol its a 2.2 so i guess it could be so much worse!