Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone help me with a job:(???

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Help with my job please:(

I am in an apprenticeship for light vehicle mechanics and i am absolutely hating it! I feel like im worked non-stop, we get no breaks (as in no one gets a set break as its mechanics and quick fitting tyres), you just eat your lunch when able to, and it only takes like 5 mins to eat lunch and by the time im done they want me to do something else and i just cant take it already =/ oh also as i am young and the new guy learning, im called names n stuff, and i know thats normal in all jobs, but there is a limit, especially when some start to hurt and you feel like your getting picked on

I have never been a practical learner, i only wanted to do mechanics because ive been interested in cars since i was young and at the end of school thats just what i decided to do cos i had no idea what else to do..

I look at engines and to be honest, i don't even want to touch them. Not unless it was my own car. I seem less and less interested in that part of cars the more ive been in contact with them.. as in, i love tuning and styling, but hate the mechanics parts like just fixing/tyres etc..

I dont know if i sound mental or what but i just need somewhere to let it out and thought maybe someone here can help

If i had to do any work on my own car i would love it, because it benefits me and i can do it in my own time.

I have been in this apprenticeship just under 3 months and have not yet signed a contract as they got some details wrong. They say you have to give 1 weeks notice under 13 weeks working there, 1 months notice from 13 weeks - 2 years working there. Now technically as i havnt signed a contract i dont have to give notice do i ??

But i want to find another job, so i can literally walk outta this crap one and walk straight into another one that i got.

How can i go about this? I know jobs are not easy to come by and that getting into a trade is good. But i am only 18 and i do not want to be stuck in a trade i do not enjoy

Any help or advice would be EXTREMELY appreciated, i'm sorry for this essay, hopefully someone can help
    Current - Celica GT
    Astra - Sold

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i was the same few years ago but i stuck it out served my time so that i have a trade to fall back on

all depends how much you hate it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know the sensible thing to do is have a trade to fall back on, but i dont want to be miserable for 2 years
    Current - Celica GT
    Astra - Sold

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Would enjoy your job a bit more if you wasn't getting picked on?

It happens to most young people when they start there first proper job. It happened to me.
    treated like shit and made to work non stop.
    Have a word with your boss, let him know how you feel.

Is this a well known company btw?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would have a word but i feel i would get ignored.. and no it is not, its a small company thats slowly expanding and now has 4 garages locally but are always really busy with people. I'm glad to know im not alone in this, but young people shouldn't be treated like this. I'm only learning and i feel useless still..
    Current - Celica GT
    Astra - Sold

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would have a word with him, if you are ignored, then take things further. Make a written complaint to the company owner.
    Bosses will/should take bullying in the work place VERY seriously.
    Im 22 and i still get it.. I've complained etc.. Stopped for a week or so and then slowly comes back.

But make sure you've got another job in the pipeline before you leave mate.
    Thats what i've done.. Just biting my tongue until Sept.

Ohh and if you havent signed a contract i wouldnt even give them 5 minutes notice.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have no idea why but i just got a scene from that Inbetweeners episode on work experience in my head.
    What kind of things are they calling you? Because there is harmless ribbing then theres just plain bullying.
    If you cant see yourself being interested in this for a long time then walk out while you still can.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i started an apprenticeship when i was 16 working for Stagecoach and i was getting up at half 5 every morning, catching a bus to bedford (20 miles away from me) and getting home at 7pm

for a 16 year old, that was tough

i was only there a month and i just walked cuz i was being picked on, they were complaining i couldnt get to work on time but i couldnt drive, they wanted me to get a train in, but wouldnt refund the tickets

what i was earning would mostly have been used on getting to and from work, waste of space, i was also picked on alot due to being young and forced out of that job

in your case, i would stick it till you find another job

be cheeky and call them names back maybe or when they call you a name, say actually, id rather you didnt call me that.

just dont leave until you have another job lined up
    G t c

soon!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    also bare in mind, if its your first job, if you walk out you may not be able to rely on them for a reference

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know that it will come back, and the main boss at the other depo is a right nobend! He'd probably just get rid of me just like that by complaining to him, but if i complain to the person in charge at my place i have a feeling life will just be made harder for me.

Yeah i wouldn't just walk without another job, but i have nearly walked out a few times just being so angry and lost patience!

To be honest i think i do quite well.. im capable of 99% of the tasks they ask of me, i can fit all size tyres without hassle or having to get help, odd jobs etc, i can drive basically anything now and they get me to go back n forth with cars which i dont mind sometimes. They should be glad i can do that, the other apprentice has not got a license, that would make life difficult for them if i wasn't there!

Oh and the boss seems to only do it to me when he is wound up hes alright mostly, but this other guy is just a full on nob! So i do backchat him or ignore him cos im not taking it from him =/ hes nice when he wants me to help him with something cos no one else will help him with it..
    Current - Celica GT
    Astra - Sold

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast