Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New to Detailing.....advice would be great

Hi folks
    I have a Astra Bertone 1.6 convertible on a 04 plate.
    Its in nice condition, good paint work, usual wear and tear.
    I washed it today, and noticed a clear film begginging to peel from the outer door trim (colour coded strip). Can this be prevented from getting any worse? and even repaired?
    Both my head lights have condensation, I'm hoping to replace them at a later date, but what should I be looking for to repair them for now.
    A strange thing I noticed was bobbling on the vynal struts (tops either side) of the rear passenger seating area. Can this be prevented from getting any worse? It almost reminds me of how the old cars use to peel their vynal after hours in the sun (over the years).
    Any product advice would be great, as I live by the sea (extreme weather) and want to keep the car in top condition. Thanks

Status
    North East RO
    Mentioned in
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Add Chewy. on Facebook
    Any pics of the offending areas, from what you have said wet and dry sanding it back a bit might help,

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry no pics, just noticed the peeling clear (i think its the laquer). I'll try to get some up soon. The bobbling vynal is a bit of a worry, I think I need to keep the area supple, its a strange thing never seen it in a modern car.

Status
    North East RO
    Mentioned in
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Add Chewy. on Facebook
    Sorry not sure on what to suggest without seing the problem but like i mentione before wet and dry sanding it might be an option then keep on top of it with adecent polish and very durable wax.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You mention wet & dry sanding.....I'm a woman..LOL....this could be interesting.. I just don't want to do any damage, as its hardly noticable. I will (weather permitting) take some pics tomorow and put them up, so you can see what I mean, but thanks for the advice

Status
    North East RO
    Mentioned in
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Add Chewy. on Facebook
    wet and dry is a very very very fine grade sand paper that you soak in water and use plenty of water while sanding to smooth out defects.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok...I might youtube it for visual instructions...LOL... I think its where water has got under the laquer.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    this is caused by a stone hitting the car and splitting the paint layers normally or a bad spray job, when the laquer has cracked it peels, normally happens on older cars, only real way to solve is to have said area resprayed as the longer its left the bigger it normally gets. avoid putting the jet wash too close to effected areas, wet n dry could be ok but doubt it would see any real worth while results

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the advice, I might get the student body work guys to respray the area. I have been down to Halfords today and took advantage of their 3 for 2 offer on Autoglym products. I started to clean and protect the hood, when the heavens opened (god hates me). Then my key got wet and would'nt open the car, so I did it manually and the flipping alarm went off, much to the distaste of the neighbours. Still haven't managed to get pic's I will soon. I think something has been laid on the vynal struts to cause the bobbling (very strange) You'll see what I mean when I get the pic's up (and have sussed how to do it) thanks guys do you know where I can get the Gtech product?