Thread: which air filter

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

which air filter

i'll be fitting my dtuk green box next week and was wandering what air filter is best to use, what do you guys use?
    do i keep standard OE filter, replace with performance panel (which brand), or cone filter?
    car is sri 150 astra
    thanks, Mick

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The standard one allows more air through than the engine can use at full revs. It has a really big surface area when unfolded and filters the air going through. I tried a K&N panel and out of the box it ruined my MAF sensor as the oil was all over it. The K&N panel also doesn't filter very well and nowhere near to the standard of the paper element. It allows big bits of muck through to give your turbo a good sandblasting. Over time you will notice the turbo is "pitted" because of this. Most don't keep their cars that long.
    As for increasing the performance, get a REMAP, it takes in to account whether the engine is cold/hot and all the other parameters from sensors that are used to provide a dynamic adjustment. A tuning box of any make is a crude way of increasing a signal from the ECU without taking any notice of other parameters or whether the engine is cold or hot. So when you start up in the morning, if the ECU injects a bit more diesel, that will be instantly multiplied which can cause black smoke and clattering. You will also see a strange effect with cruise control, it will surge when the car tries to increase speed. That's because the ECU is telling the car to do one thing, but the signal is being multiplied. A box needs to be adjusted so that it doesn't cause the car to inject far too much diesel which causes black smoke. I wouldn't use one if I was given the choice between a REMAP and a box. I have seen a few cars that required new fuel pumps, also fuel rails as they are sometimes put outside the manufacturers tolerance levels - due to incorrect adjustment. So with any methd of increasing power, keep an eye on the fuel pump, fuel rail, injectors and EGR. Unused diesel causing black smoke will clog up the EGR faster, but you can clean them on a 1.9, it will also soot up the turbo. If you get the first sign of an engine management light, do the pedal test and get the codes from this site. That will show which parts are not too happy with the increase and the ones liable to fail if you ignore the warnings.
    Over the years I have tried a lot of products on different makes of cars - and also fixed a few. I certainly wouldn't buy a car that had any form of tuning applied previously. If you do have an accident, make sure you declared whateer you have fitted to your insurance company. Vauxhall has been in partnership with Insurers and Police for a few years and can extract data stored to show whether the engine was working outside normal tolerance levels.
    I'm amazed you're not happy with the 1.9 150 as standard!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    good write up geoff ,so your better off sticking with a normal vauxhall paper air filter i was going to buy one of those k+n upgraded air filters aswell (think ill give them a miss) .

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers for the info Geoff, yeah i'll see how it goes with the box, may consider a remap in the future, its not that im not happy with the standard performance but if there's chance for more power then why not! lol
    my other car is a subaru so i guess its just that im used to having plenty of go under my right foot! but then again im not used to the fuel lasting so long LOL!!
    Mick