Thread: The MK4 2.0 compared to....? Views Please

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Arrow The MK4 2.0 compared to....? Views Please

I'm constantly eyeing up the replacement for the current Astra. Not because i want rid, but because i want to know what i'm going for when the time comes & know as much as i can do about what's on offer.

For a bit, i was eyeing up the MK4 GSI -vs- a MK4 Golf GT TDI (130) dependant on income-vs-outgoings.

Just fuelled up with some V-Power now & it was 1.24.9 -vs- "normal" fuel @ 1.17.9

Had me thinking .... what about a MK4 2.0 turbo diesel.

I know they're an "older" car now & wont be as sought after as the Golf, but i'd like to know what to expect from one.

QUESTION TIME:

1. How would the 2.0 TD compare to my 1.8 SRi (obviously i'm not talking about fuel economy here)?

2. I'm assuming i should buy as late a spec as i can afford?

3. I'm guessing the Golf (MK4 GT TDI 130) will be superior, but will it be THAT much better? Will it be THAT much quicker? Is it worth the price difference?

4. Anything to look out for specific to this engine? I'm assuming it still retains the trust reliability of the thermostat i've experienced with my 1.8?

Seen a few SRi versions on auto trader, so has had me considering.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    To elaborate on Q1 as it's not too clear....

Looking to see how the 2.0TD would compare to the 1.8 performance-wise. Here, i'm talking about
    * from a standstill
    * pick up from say 30mph'ish
    * pick up from 60-70 ish

Not after a "good" or "bad" as this will be vague at best. I'm after it being compared to the 1.8 in the same situation to give me an idea of what to expect.

IMO, my 1.8 is decent in all 3 areas. May not be other peoples views, but the 1.8 is decent enough at those 3 for me.

Oh & to get in there first - i know ---- test drive one, and i will, when i have the time as right now i'm just putting feelers out.

Cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Generally they do say that Vdubs are better built than VX's.
    But then again, part-for-part the Astra will be cheaper to maintain and mod.

For other performance and economy stats I would look at the Parkers website for some guidance.

HTH

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    don't know much about Vauxhalls, am on my first one, but you can get a Revotec ECU upgrade for the Golf 130 which will take you to 180bhp for 400 quid....I had the Seat Leon 150 diesel which went to 195bhp.....I like the VWs, the build quality difference is noticeable
    Mk5 Astra 150 SRi DTi 5 door with Exterior Pack in Lightning Silver with CRD2 on the way (hopefully!)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi kev i have the 2.0dti sri mk4 and i love it.i reacon the power 0-60 is quite fast (depends how you drive)
    if you drive the way your told in your test then it will take you a good 13-15 secs if you really boot it you could prob get there in just under 9-10secs.60-70 if you drop a gear then you will get there in about 3-4secs if you stay in top gear then you are looking at agood 7-8secs.
    As for the fuel i get a good 500miles to a tank in a good week if i drive it hard(MOST OF THE TIME) then 400-450 to a tank.So all in all its quite good and fast enough.if its speed you want then go for the vw but the astra is a lot cheaper to maintain.
    i hope this helps mate.
    if you are interested i am up for selling my sri.if you would like some more info please drop me a PM.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have a 2008 140 gt tdi at the moment as a courtesy car while my 1.8 is being repaired, have to say i do like the turbo on it, and has a good spec on it. it is quite powerful.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I knew about Parkers, but i'm not after paper statistics, they mean nothing to me.

If i go off of Parkers, it tells me that basically the 2.0 TD Astra can't live with my 1.8 Astra

but i'm not so sure that's true, which is why i was looking for user/owner opinions.

I know very little about motors, but have been slowly finding my way about the Astra. I tried a bit of work on the g/f's Polo & some of it is more fiddly. Also, the help on here is fantastic, whereas the help i've found on a couple VW forums has been average at best.

It all depends how much i'm willing to shell out. The actual car alone i'd only spend a couple grand or so on the Astra, whereas i'd go nearer to 4k on the Golf (i think).

I don't know if i'd be too interested in tuning it (he says) but out of interest, what sort of gains can you see from the Astra & do you need to buy anything to go alongside the tuning (uprated blah-blah, safety features etc).

Just something i'm currently considering as fuel prices are a bit daft & i don't see them coming down, so i could be forced to go diesel.

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    the 2.0 DTi can be a bit of a fragile, oil burning engine. it does have respectable power and economy, but if you can wait then i would save up the pennies and go for the later CDTi engines. they are more fuel efficient, quieter and will live with your 1.8 petrol experience. i have driven a vectra 2.0 DTi for work use and found it noisey and unrefined.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1412 View Post
    later CDTi engines.
    Are we talking the MK5 here?

It was a consideration, but i don't know. I figure if i was shelling on a MK5 diesel, even though i'd get more car for my money, i'd possibly be better off going for a MK4 Gold GT TDI...?

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    there are some Mk4 Astras with the 1.7 CDTi engines in them. my mate now runs a vectra with the 1.9 CDTi (120) engine and he only paid £3900 for it and it has bags of torque and pulls very strong

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast