Thread: Bedding in info

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bedding in info

Hey folks i've done a lot of searching through various threads and websites but looking for your opinions!!

I've had the pistion rings various other seals and guides valves to cure an underlying missfire and vast oil consumtion. seems a LOT smoother now and no smoke from exhaust (touch wood) was just wondering what the correct or best procedure to getting it running for longetivity etc

So far i've done 95 miles on petrol only(have lpg too) as i was told to do this by the mechanic. not been above 3000 revs as yet and i'm going to change the oil about the 150 mark. do i increase the revs per say1000rpm/ 50 miles or so. also read not to drive in 5th gear full throttle.

Any info would be great lads. zafira z18xe

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    the rule of thumb is to drive at varying revs below 4k, not to labour the engine and change the oil after two weeks of running in.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how long below do i stay below 4k and when do i increase revs? surely the oil change would be judged on miles instead of time would it not?

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    you increase the revs during normal driving, you only need stay below 4k for a few days of varying revs driving. i said two weeks based on an average of a 100 or so miles per week. it is not hyper-critical, but change it within a couple hundred miles.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If I recall, when I got my car new, the handbook suggested something to the effect of what you've been doing already. I will try to check (though my handbook is in the car and the car is in the garage!) though I think it was keep it under 4000rpm for 1000 miles or something like that.

There is a train of thought about revving the 'rear' off it from new, however given I did it by the book exactly, and at 155,000 miles was only losing 1 litre of oil every 20,000 miles, I subscribe to the rules in the handbook!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1412 View Post
    you increase the revs during normal driving, you only need stay below 4k for a few days of varying revs driving. i said two weeks based on an average of a 100 or so miles per week. it is not hyper-critical, but change it within a couple hundred miles.
    ok mate i get what you mean. will get the oil changed about the 200 mark then to make sure the oil filter catches most if not all the metal bits.

Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    If I recall, when I got my car new, the handbook suggested something to the effect of what you've been doing already. I will try to check (though my handbook is in the car and the car is in the garage!) though I think it was keep it under 4000rpm for 1000 miles or something like that.

There is a train of thought about revving the 'rear' off it from new, however given I did it by the book exactly, and at 155,000 miles was only losing 1 litre of oil every 20,000 miles, I subscribe to the rules in the handbook!
    ok mate no problems no rush. i think i'll go along with that then. i rarely go over 4k anyways so will do that for the 1000 miles as said. yeah i've read varying thoughts as to drive it like a granny or drive it like a boy racer but think i'll take the granny route to be on the safe side.

nry i realise your an lpg driver too, the mechanic said not to drive on lpg for time being till there properly bedded in. why is this out of curiosity? and would this not affect the injectors if their just sitting idle all the time? should i run the rank empty? sorry for all the questions lol

cheers for the replys guys.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    No idea, I drove mine on LPG pretty much from new....I suspect that the slightly better lubrication of the combustion chambers and head/valves from the petrol is why they have said this but never heard it before. LPG injectors empty when on petrol/petrol empty when on LPG so either way one of them is empty

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can I ask how much you paid to have the work done?

Just that I'm in a similar position so am looking at options.
    ... indicators do not give you right of way!!!