Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Year On (56k Users I'm Sorry!)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

One Year On (56k Users I'm Sorry!)

I recently renewed my membership on here and had to attend my first MOT in the coupe which made me very aware I've now owned the Coupe for a whole year! Its come a long way since i bought it on a spur of the moment decision, I needed to replace my previous car a Corsa Sport which was sitting on the drive with a blown headgasket. I was looking into buying an Astra hatch at the time until a mate told me a local garage (Griffin Autos) had an Astra Coupe for sale, I thought i wouldn't be able to insure a 2.2 at first so turned down the oppurtunity.

However after asking the insurance company for a quote out of curiosity whilst getting prices on a few hatches and finding out it was no more expensive to insure than a 1.6 or 1.8 hatch I decided to buy it. Went to have a quick look at it with a mechanic mate of mine and £2000 later the coupe was mine. The paintwork wasn't in perfect nick but the engine had just had a top end rebuild after the dreaded chain failure so i was happy with my purchase.

Apart from setting a set of Astra Mk3 GSI brakes to my Corsa I hadn't spent a penny modifying it and planned on much the same for the Coupe. However as those who have come across my thread on here will know this didn't last for long.

I've always meant to write a biography on here about my car on here but have never got around to it and instead of doing it here heres a brief run through of things i've done in a near correct order I think.
    • Dotz Radium alloys (18" x 8J ET38 5 x 112 with Corrective bolts)
    • 30mmm Eibach Springs
    • Glenn Yale Alcantara Gaiters
    • GSI Front bumper
    • Irmscher look front grill
    • 20mm spacers on the rear
    • Rear arches rolled
    • Genuine 888 centre console
    • BMW 3 Series rear diffuser built into the rear bumper and corner lines smoothed out.
    • Boot lid tidied with badges and locking mech removed along with the chrome strip colour coded.
    • Full Respray
    • Bertone Centre Caps
    • Few smaller bits like Civic aerial and VW whell nut covers.
    None of the above was planned but one has followed on from another and the bug has really bitten. I've had some good times over the year with the car attending Billing, santa Pod and more recently Ace Cafe. Last summer i wasn't happy with the car and the amount of dents etc so didn't put it on the stand. Really looking forward to attending as many shows as possible this year and getting more involved. I've also had my share of lows the worst being waking up on a Monday morning for work just before Christmas to find my bumper had been stolen whilst I slept and the recently sprayed wing damaged in the process.

This forum has been a massive help to me over the last year too. I started with basically no knowledge of cars or modifying but now have a fair understanding of things (even if i'm better at reciting it than putting it into practice with my own office hands.) Some of the cars on here have been a real inspiration to me and fellow member really helpful on so many occasions.

Rather than dragging this post out any longer i'll end it with a few (maybe a lot of ) pics of how my car stands now. These were taken last weekend after a decent clean (another of my new interests) and show the car as it is now one year on:

I'm sure the car will continue to change throughout 2010 with the next step planned at the moment being a change to the interior as the original seats are starting to get a bit ropey now. I'm sure i'll be asking plenty of questions on here around this soon but after a trip to my local retrimmers today things are looking positive.

Hopefully i'll still be going strong in another 12 months with the coupe and subject you to another anniversary thread!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    that looks very nice,

the colour of the alloys is not to my taste, but nice car mate
    Observe the masses and do the opposite

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    does look nice mate. Lot of thought and work gone into it to make it unique but subtle.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Catlin, Very very nice... a lot of work has gone into the car to get her where you wanted her to be... I bet it has been a lot of graft yet really rewarding to see your ideas put into practice...
    Star Silver SRI Turbo..'Red.Dot Reloaded'..Cybox Precat, Cybox Catback SS Exhaust..K&N Panel Filtered...9Ltr EDS SMIC!!.....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    very very nice , as said above very subtle work(hard work though) to create a crackin' look.....nay further plans? or have you finished....lookin great as it is though
    1.8 excluciv convertible '06 (silver lightninig)

Status
    Bit busy... be back soon!
    Drives
    Astra Coupe 2.2
    Mentioned in
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Follow AndyH On Twitter Add AndyH on Facebook Add AndyH on Google+
    Nice... the diffuser works well, looks pretty much OEM
    Actively proving that post counts mean jack sh*t since 1971

Status
    South Central RO
    Mentioned in
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    loving your car catlin , especially the wheels and diffuser

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looks tidy. Love the rear diffuser.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What's the reception like with the civic ariel? I had a C2 one on but the reception was non-existant.

Looks good tho, works really well.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looks very nice mate love the bmw diffuser!!
    Carbon Black Astra Coupe Turbo

Stage 2

The Car:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast