Thread: No battery light

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No battery light

Firstly i would like to say hello to everybody at Astra Owners Club as i have just registered.

I own a 2001 Zafira 2.2

I have recently just had problems with my heater matrix and the seals were leaking which i replaced after removing the dash board. We put it all back together and it seemed ok for a few days. As the carpets were soaking we decided to remove the carpets and dry them inside the house but the only way to dry the front deadener was to put a heater inside the car.

The day after i was driving and i seen the red battery light flick on and then off and as i parked up it did it again. I thought nothing of it and got out if the car. I got up the next morning, started the car its was fine drove about 3 miles and the power steering stopped working and we had differnt lights appearing on the dash such as ABS and traction control obv due to the battery dying.

Parked the car up and switched off the ignition and then switched the ignition back on and noticed there is no battery light. Is it just coincidence that the alternator has failed or is there a fault elsewere. I have read that no battery light means that the alternator will not work.

After charging the battery i have checked the voltgage while running and its only changed to 11 volts so i presumed the alternator isnt working?

Please help i have no clue what to do? is it the dash wiring? battery? alternator? clocks? HELP!!!

Thanx

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Your Alternator is not charging. This will be down to one of two things, either a faulty alternator or in this case the charge light on the clocks is missing, therefore there is no feed to the alternator to excite the field coils.

Do the other telltale lights (Oil pressure, ABS, Airbag, etc.) on you speedo light up at switch on?
    If not then check/replace fuse F3.13 7.5Amp. Also check the connector for the clocks is seated correctly.
    If they do light up you need to check for 12v (with ignition on) at pin 14 (Blue/White wire) on the "Body Front" connector behind the battery (See below).

If this is missing your speedo is probably faulty.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi thanx for the reply.

All other dash lights are working, not being much of an electrician how exactly do i test for 12 volts at this blue and white wire without killing myself lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Do you have a multimeter?
    If not, might be better off getting a mechanic/autospark to check it out.
    The Blue/White wire is the charge control line between the alternator & clocks.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes i have a friends multimeter just not quite how exactly to use it. Do i disconnect the plug and put the red wire on the multimeter to the blue and white wire or do i leave it connected and strip back a bit of the wire. Where do i put the black wire on the multimeter, to the battery earth? could so with a step by step instructions please.

Sorry for taking up so much if ya time!
    thanx

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    No need to disconnect the plug, you should be able to pull back the rubber boot on the connector to get access to the rear of the pins.
    Set the meter to the 20v DC range
    Connect the black wire of the meter to ground & put the red probe on the pin with the blue/white wire.
    Switch on the ignition (get someone to help if needs be) & watch the meter. Does it show 12v & drop back or do nothing at all? Do you have any voltage readings?
    Report back what happens.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi thanx, its reading between 8-9 and it stays on that. is this right?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The battery is only showing 10 tho and needs charging.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    when i turn the ignition on there is a buzzing that gets louder and louder coming from what i think is the power steering under the bonnet. if i disconnect the clocks and put the ignition on there is no buzzing.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Can you charge the battery at all?
    Then recheck the voltage, though it loks like you alternator might be suspect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast