Thread: A few more mods to my VXR.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A few more mods to my VXR.

Well, with the all the tuning to the engine I wanted all done it was time to think about various mods that would upgrade various standard parts and would also help with engine/turbo longevity and reliability and the like. So sorry for the long post and who would have though you could say so much about so few little mods!

So firstly at the RR road at the Xmas meet my car had a wee dip in power (very small and barely noticeable on the Road) but visible on the graph round about when the car was approaching max boost. Now in the past I have had the OEM diverter valve split on me (makes the lovely turkey noise when it has split) so figured possibly this was at fault again. So rather than pay Vauxhall close on £100 to £120 to get a new one and get it fitted, I figured well why not get an uprated one and never have this issue again.

So when a special on the Forge diverter valve came up, I took them up on the offer and this arrived in the post next day. I was impressed by the quality and the service from Forge and the valve and they come highly recommended by me.

So the valve.

The valve comes with two springs one for tuned engines (yellow in colour) and one for non tuned engines (Green).

Pic of the green spring after it was replaced by the yellow one.

and the valve fitted (sorry not a great pic). Which let me say is a right B****r to fit.

Next up, a little mod that is designed to protect the turbo by reducing the oil pressure to a more turbo and turbo seal friendly pressure. A cheap mod but why not at the end of the day, every little bit helps.

So the PPP oil restrictor bolt

and fitted

While I was at it, I figured one more little mod and that was the breather box. What is this designed to do I hear you say well, it was originally fitted to the vectra b x20xev to stop the throttle body from furring up and the car hunting. It keeps the top end of the engine clean and any oil surge from the crankcase up the vent tube can cause oil to be sucked into your inlet/boost pipe work, possibly causing smoking issues from it. So the baffle in the breather box allows the oil to fall back into the sump, yet the vapour is free to flow across the top of the engine back into the inlet setup keeping your pipe work oil free. Does it work well? Yes, hence why I decided why not.

So the breather box fitted. Oh and yes I have black tubing on as I was tired of replacing the discolouring silicon equivalents all the time.

Next up a little mod that I had heard of before and something that the likes of AMG's, M series cars, Ferrari's and the like all have as standard. Again a very simple and cheap mod, and designed to pick up metallic c**P that could cause damage to the engine......a magnetic sump plug.

So a phone call to LMF and next day I dropped in and picked it up. Now this is no eBay special but it is actually excellent quality item. You really need to compare it to the eBay stuff to see what I mean.

So the Dimple magnetic sump plug and for good measure I got the oil and oil filter changed at the same time as this was fitted.

And lastly I have had various silicon hoses lying about that I had not fitted, so got round to fitting those.

So the engine bay with all the hoses that I am going to fit. For those wondering what make well a mixture of VXR racing and Roose motorsport hoses as they colour match perfectly.

So slowly but surely getting it to where I want it.

Status
    Hulk smash!!
    Mentioned in
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Some interesting stuff. Fittted the Forge myself, which was much easier as I was replacing my turbo at the same time.

I also have the restrictor bolt to fit. I am still a tad wary of this though, having read most of the threads on it. I am worried it might restrictor the oil too much, but I know lots of people are using them now, so I will probably fit it anyway.

And finally the magnetic sump plug, though it was a gimick to be honest, so it didn't fall in the oil bucket when draining, I never considered attracting nasties in the oil, I might look into this.

Cheers for the good informative post.

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    very nice mods basil

Neil - just because the drain plug is magnetic doesnt mean you wont drop it in the oil bucket believe me

AOC top 15 car at PVS 2009 & 2010
    313.7bhp/343Ibft

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    the oil plugs are a nice cheap mod i like my one found it easy when doing the oil change i stuck the plug on the Sump

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    coming on well
    1.8 16v 99 T plate.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)