Thread: My spark plug nightmare!

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My spark plug nightmare!

Decided to start the first major service I'm giving my car today. Was a bit pushed for time as I had to pick somebody up so changed air filter, 60 seconds, no problem. Took engine cover etc off to get to plugs, no problem. Got my spark plug wrench, tried unscrewing first plug. Bloody hell! Stiff as it comes, I think a gorilla may have fitted the last set! Managed to get the first one out and replaced. Brilliant. Take no's 2 and 3 out after a kerfuffle, hands now sore. No. 4, not budging. Put tea towel over handle of wrench, twist like hell.....

SNAP. I literally twisted the wrench in two!!! How strong am I? So the socket bit on the end of the wrench (this wrench by the way http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165469 )
    was stuck on the spark plug and I had no way of getting it off as the rubber was stuck on top of the plug. Had to get a lift to the local autoparts place to get a spark plug socket and came back home. I used a extension bar and ratchet so it was deep enough to fit into the block. Tightened plug 2 with the new socket, tried to pull it off, no joy - the extension bar and socket were just seperating as the new socket was stuck on the plug via the rubber inside. Absolute disbelief by this point!

Just ended up gently dropping the plug into the hole and then removing the rubber from the socket and tightening it up with that. Success! Number 3 went it no problems. Number 4 however still has a socket stuck on top with no obvious way of getting it off. Ended up messing about with pliers for ages and finally managed to get it out, loosened plug 4 straight away with the ratchet. 4 dropped in and job done...

90 MINUTES LATER!

Goddamn it! Why do the simplest jobs that I've done several times before always turn into a total pain?
    2000 1.8 CDX money guzzler a.k.a Bessie

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Did you change plugs when the engine is hot? Also helps to dab a little copper grease on the threads, too.

But yes, is always the 'simple' jobs that take twice as long!

Standard - but Nice.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Astra Dan View Post
    Did you change plugs when the engine is hot? Also helps to dab a little copper grease on the threads, too.

But yes, is always the 'simple' jobs that take twice as long!
    I'v benn onedering wether that would have an effect for instance the head is hot this = soft metal = expanded metal = spark plugs are more free to come out but then with the head soft wouldent it be realy easy to destroy the thred when tighten the plug.

sorry for spelling im on iphone.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    tbh i dont see any reason not to use a normal ratchet to extract them, can get much more leverage therefore force that way so, on the pic, the tool looks a bit poo though, always use a ratchet with extension to take mine out and sometimes the ratchet to put back in or use torque wrench... roughly know how far to do it by feel now its been so many times lol

vauxcoupe
    Should have allowed yourself time to do the jobs mate!! and that thing from halfords is the shittest tool av ever used as it did it with me to!!!!....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    tbh your problems were down to using substandard tooling

that part is a total joke

a good 3/8 drive ratchet with an extension and proper spark plug socket is what i always use

just hand tighten it until it stops then just 1/4 turn is enough

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    tbh your problems were down to using substandard tooling

that part is a total joke

a good 3/8 drive ratchet with an extension and proper spark plug socket is what i always use

just hand tighten it until it stops then just 1/4 turn is enough
    ^^^what he said

Proper tools are always the best way to go about things. Get yourself a decent socket set and most come with a proper spark plug socket and its dead easy with an extender and ratchet.

I work at halfords and if I had a quid for every snapped one of those plug wrenches Id seen back Id be making a lot more than my £6.50 a hour . As a general rule avoid any tool from halfords unless its a professional one. They are pretty good quality and have a lifetime warranty if anything does break
    It would definitely go better with an engine in it

ZLET converted SXi See Here

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know it is a poo tool isn't it? Worked fine the last couple of times as I know I tightened the last set and know I've not overdone it. The engine was cold when I did it, always done it that way. Is that not right?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    lol i had a problem trying to change my crank sensor as i was pulling it out the pastic casing around the magnet broke of and was stuck inside the hole took me 2 hours trying to get it out for something that should of taken 10 minutes

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linlo1986 View Post
    lol i had a problem trying to change my crank sensor as i was pulling it out the pastic casing around the magnet broke of and was stuck inside the hole took me 2 hours trying to get it out for something that should of taken 10 minutes
    Someone remind me never to change a crank sensor...