Thread: Considering starting an online Shop

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Considering starting an online Shop

As per title, thinking about maybe attempting to start a website selling various AV products, gadgets, consoles, tv's, i-pods etc. In the process of sourcing decent wholesale prices etc which isn;t easy and will take time but the part thats really stumped me is looking for a name.

Any suggestions from anyone of what might be a good name???
    Great Minds Discuss Ideas; Average Minds Discuss Events; Small Minds Discuss People

http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/...e/jahadley.png

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupe2T View Post
    As per title, thinking about maybe attempting to start a website selling various AV products
    well if you need any advice on AV's heres a page from the people who trained me:

Clicky

Kirsty

Status
    South Central RO
    Mentioned in
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapheapchallenge View Post
    well if you need any advice on AV's heres a page from the people who trained me:

Clicky

Kirsty

fpmsl

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    LOL!!!

onlinegadgetstore!
    Black 1.7CDTI SXI -www.younge.co.uk -

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ebay is a good place to get started, it will be much harder to setup an indepenant store as you will need to spend a lot of advertising.

Our ebay shop is very succesful and was straight forward to setup, it does have some hassles but we would never be selling as much as we are now and fees are not all that bad.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    unless you enjoy the economies of scale that high street retailers do or sites such as amazon and play.com (or even tesco/asda) then there really is no point as you won't be anywhere near as competitive. Its a market sector with alot of established companies and unless you have a major backer willing to invest alot of money then i honestly don't see it working.

something else to consider, say you do get a few products cheaper, given the amount of online scams (fake websites selling UGG boots come to mind) would you rather buy from somewhere cheaper and unknown or pay a little bit more and get the piece of mind of a reputable company with excellent customer services such as amazon.

Having just re-read your original post you're only looking for a name not advice, but im afraid i don't have much of an imagination!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ive created loads of brands. What kind of image are you going for? Do you want something funky & cool, or are you looking for something that sais exactly what it does? I.e 'Gadget Corner' or something

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You're going to need one hell of a unique selling point to attract customers to you instead of using the superstars like eBay, Amazon etc etc who provide some of the best delivery and competitively priced products around as they can source them the cheapest.

I don't think there's really a gap in the market for selling such items at the moment, if anything I'd say it's flooded.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapheapchallenge View Post

Clicky

Kirsty
    That's just wrong!!! So totally NOT what I want to be selling either! lol

Quote Originally Posted by jay_coupe View Post
    unless you enjoy the economies of scale that high street retailers do or sites such as amazon and play.com (or even tesco/asda) then there really is no point as you won't be anywhere near as competitive. Its a market sector with alot of established companies and unless you have a major backer willing to invest alot of money then i honestly don't see it working.

something else to consider, say you do get a few products cheaper, given the amount of online scams (fake websites selling UGG boots come to mind) would you rather buy from somewhere cheaper and unknown or pay a little bit more and get the piece of mind of a reputable company with excellent customer services such as amazon.

Having just re-read your original post you're only looking for a name not advice, but im afraid i don't have much of an imagination!
    Well, Everyone has to start somewhere mate. I know there are a lot of scams going on but there are plenty of legitimate new sites that pop up every day and they manage to make sales and earn a few quid so I don't believe I should be any different.

Not saying it will be easy, as I know it won't but it's certainly not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Ebay is a good place to get started, it will be much harder to setup an indepenant store as you will need to spend a lot of advertising.

Our ebay shop is very succesful and was straight forward to setup, it does have some hassles but we would never be selling as much as we are now and fees are not all that bad.
    I have a friend who works for a national newsgroup so I should be able to get some very favourable advertising prices in a lot of local weekly newspapers. I will probably have a site on ebay too but eventually I would like to make a site that can stand up on it's own etc. It will take time but i've got time and patience to invest so we will see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Mechanic View Post
    Ive created loads of brands. What kind of image are you going for? Do you want something funky & cool, or are you looking for something that sais exactly what it does? I.e 'Gadget Corner' or something
    I want it to be fairly does what it says on the tin, but I also want it to be catchy. If that makes sense. Something that people will remember and something that I can build an image/logo around that stands out.
    Great Minds Discuss Ideas; Average Minds Discuss Events; Small Minds Discuss People

http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/...e/jahadley.png

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How about Electric avenue (comes with a premade theme tune ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtPk5IUbdH0