Thread: Cars and Coffee v.3.20 *We're Back!*

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cars and Coffee v.3.20 *We're Back!*

After last weeks fiasco with the series of server crashes, CNCpics is back online. We have made many changes. Our goal as always is just to provide good coverage of different automotive events we get to go to that various automotive enthusiast around the world only with they could attend on a regular basis. We are trying new stuff out, feel free to comment on our new direction.

All the pics are click-able thumbnails

The story behind the great crash.....

As you no doubt noticed, cncpics.com crashed fairly hard minutes after last weeks picture posting, this week we have a shiny new server on a shiny new connection and also a number of changes to our 'model'. The reasons for the crash are cumulative, the software that backs the site creates a series of temporary files during the creating and serving of the resized and watermarked images that you enjoy every week. We have simply uploaded large (4-8MB) images and the software has resized, watermarked and handled the caching. This is fairly server intensive and also takes a lot of disk space. So much so that the cache growth caused the hosting company concerns in the past and a weekly 'cron' routine was written to clear down the cache. That routine failed on Feb 5th and then on feb 12th, 19th, 26th etc continued to fail as it had too much work to do in the alloted processor time.

Which brings us around to Tuesday morning, the hosting company noticed that there was an excessive number of cache files and disabled writing to the cache folder. Just as everyone was trying to look at the pics. As the software could not use the temp and cache files it wrote 16K files to the hosting root and the hosting company pulled the plug. The catch22 was that they would not re-enable it until I had fixed it and they would not give me access to fix it unless I had fixed it. After several abortive attempts and a lot of swearing we moved to a temporary host. This too caved in trying to resize the (large) files and at that point a new (vps) host came on line and we are now moved over entirely.

With the new host comes many new things.

1) Free wallpapers - up to 1600 (or more in some case) rather than any attempts at e-commerce.

2) Smaller upload file limits - no file over 1.4MB (and 1920x1920) can be uploaded. PERIOD.

3) Single resize + 'original' image availability only if someone really wants the original (4-8MB) they can contact us and ask for it.

This has multiple effects - it reduces the physical storage requirements from 92GB to a mere 18GB as of today, plus it vastly improves the performance.

we are not done tuning and playing with the server, yet, but so far things are way better....

As always you can enjoy the full collection at http://www.cncpics.com/album/201003/100320/]CNCpics.com[/url]

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Very nice once again.
    Prefer this look, then can click the one that take my fancy

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Good pictures. Personally not a fan of thumbnails, not really needed now nearly everyone is on broadband.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    Good pictures. Personally not a fan of thumbnails, not really needed now nearly everyone is on broadband.
    except that the load that it puts on the originating server is pretty brutal when the pics first go up and it stays that way for 2-3 days.

Switching to 320ish thumbnails created from 1920x1920 80% quallity jpgs vs the old method (full 8-16mp 100% quality jpgs) has reduced the server cpu load from '100% pegged for 2-3 days and 2GB of memory + 1-2GB swap and 80-100% network utilization down to under 10% cpu, 450MB of memory and 20-25% network utilization.

Also, if I look at the stats, not everyone is on broadband.

36% of the traffic from cncpics.com is on connects slower then 512k, time to load 100 images the old way at 512k was 57 seconds, the new method loads in about 6-8 seconds @ 512k.

Those of us with decent broadband - mine is 48MB down and 12MB up here at home can click through and get a 900xnnn image in a under a second (average page time is 0.3 seconds) or a 'full' wallpaper image 1920xnnnn in slightly longer (average for a 1920 here is .7 seconds), but do we really need to have all of the images at 900xnnn ?

personally I think that 900pixels is pretty small on my monitor and I would rather double click and get something that fills my screen - almost - but only of those that I am interested in.

while on the subject of resolution though.....

A full 18% of the people that view the images are running at 1024x768, another 15% are at 1280x800 and 13% at 1280x1024.

but, you say, everyone has a 23" 1080P on their desk ? Less than 1% view at 1920x1080........

Stats are great when it comes to this sort of thing.

My assumptions were that everyone has broadband (wrong)
    everyone has widescreen (very wrong)
    everyone uses firefox (wrong - 33.95%)
    lots of people use osx (wrong - 16%)
    etc

There is a second reason for me to like thumbnails - by clicking on an image you are registering 'approval' and we get to see the stats of the images that are the most popular, this helps us to deliver a weekly set that is more in tune with what you all appear to like.

as Leo said though, we are still experimenting a little, the server is new and not fully optimized, our workflow needs work and although this is merely a hobby for us, we want to deliver the best possible results each week....

Max