Thread: Astra MK4 Front O/S brake problem

Kim

Astra MK4 Front O/S brake problem

Hey everyone. I was driving along about 60mph the other day when i felt a bad vibrating/juddering... so i stopped for a look and there was smoke coming from the front drivers side brake and it was mega hot....

So its obviousky sticking on for some reason.. sometimes so bad that the car nearly comes to a stop when your just changing gear.

Now all the brakes were replaced a month or so ago and all was cleaned and greased.. so i dont think its a problem there.

A section of brake pipe from the valve to rear O/S flexi was replaced not long ago also.. could air have got in and be causing this??

If not whar els should i check?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I would take it back to the place that did your brakes and it sounds like either its not been put back together correct and something has come loose, or you ahve a problem with that caliper binding on due to either a sticking piston or the slider bolts are not doing their job.

There should be any binding of brakes when free running. If all has been assemble right then it has to be a probelm with the caliper sticking. Also helps to clean off the areas where the end of the pads mount into and apply a little copper slip.

Hope it gets sorted soon.
    Hey YOU See Oooour Reeegin Noooo ! Toss Yer Caber Here

Kim
    It was a mate that did it.. not a garage. everything was cleaned and greased.

If something was not put back together properly shouldnt I have noticed it before now?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Without seeing them in person its hard to say what's up..... I would get him to re-check it.

Is you car 4-stud or 5-stud....?

If the calipers and pads are not mounted correct it would cause them to be off square and so cause the pads to bind on the disc.

I came across an issue with my wife's SXi 4-stud standard brakes whete the slider bolt was cross threaded causing the caliper to sit off square.

If the pitons if not free moving then it won't return to its normal position when the brakes are off and hence it will bind on.
    Hey YOU See Oooour Reeegin Noooo ! Toss Yer Caber Here