Thread: Next step, Uprating the Turbo

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Next step, Uprating the Turbo

well, im now at that stage to concentrate on the turbo.

ive planned for a while now to have a vxr unit uprated by Turbo Dynamics to complete my first leg (350bhp), TD came reccommended by NPD following his great thread, 'new turbo blog'.

ive sourced a new, but used turbo, the bearings are done in but TD are replacing that part anyway.

ive discussed with them the options available and ive decided to go for their MD-496 package, which is, blueprinting, 360 degree thrust bearing, enlarged compressor housing and some other stuff that flew right over my head.

basically, the turbo will hit 350bhp comfortably.

the courier is coming tomorrow to pick it up, TD will inspect the turbo and call me. if alls goes well and theirs no unforseen damage, the works will continue.

so fingers crossed.

the car is progressing
    Engaged in crime I grasp my throat
    Enraged my mind starts to smoke
    Enforce a mental overload
    Angry again, angry again, angry again
    And again and again, again

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nice one bet you cant wait

Once thats on you going for stage 3? or going to wait till you have everything then do the whole thing at once?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mine was dne by Turbo Dynamics 360 bearings and blueprinting cant remember hw much is was but i had a brand nw turbo which mad it cheaper

sorry nw for not goin for the extra to try to get mre bhp
    much much would be be to do the work to a new turbo n
    Astra gsi turbo Black = z20leh forged courtenay sport stage 4 with there uprated clutch,lightened flywheel 3ch exhaust = very happy bhp

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't no any upgrade could see 350 on a vxr turbo, how much is it costing you mate?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well, im wanting the car to be reasonably ready for PVS, but i dont think ill get the conrods and pistons done in time due to being soo expensive.

so ill aim to limit the car to 300-320bhp ish depending on how brave im feeling.

but at the same time as turbo install, ill get the 80mm AFM, 540cc injectors, fuel pump, 3 bar map all installed.

left over then is the pistons/conrods, LSD, Inlet cams, clutch disc and driveplates, bigger cooling rad, and maybe oil cooler, all that is engine out jobbie, so ill try to get them all done at the same time aswell.

im pretty sure TD could still do the work to your turbo m8, except the uninstall/reinstall cost of the turbo unless you do that part yourself.

well their charging me £500 ish due to its condition, so it could go up or down.... more than likely up lol. so if it was a new turbo, itll be £500.

but itll have a decent warranty, and when/if i go for higher figures, i can whip the turbo off and sell on with the correct proven paperwork of what it is. and get myself a gt3071.

if im happy with the power i get from it and dont go further, then ive got a solid turbo.
    Engaged in crime I grasp my throat
    Enraged my mind starts to smoke
    Enforce a mental overload
    Angry again, angry again, angry again
    And again and again, again

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I like that idea of getting the power then going for big power down the line. Lets you get used to the power as when i got the 888 it was shit scary! (still is at times) so for you to get say stage 3.5 then for bigger after wont be as bad.

Good luck to you mate and let us know how you get on