Thread: Replacing head gasket how to?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Replacing head gasket how to?

Im going to have to replace the head gasket on a 1999 1.6 8v ecotec engine on the mk4
    is it just a case of manifolds off, cambelt off etc,
    do i have to get the head skimmed or would it be ok to not have it done?

any info would be great

cheers.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive done a 1.4 16 v before it was simple enough didnt take the intake manifold off but my prob was a burnt exhaust valve . if the gasket has gone what caused it? it may be best to have it checked for any faults then your sure the gasket wont blow again

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i think the problem is its just done 100k and cant find any recipt of it having one, ill be inspecting the head when its off to see if theres anything unusual.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if theres no signs of HG failure then why bother doing it?

Its not like a serviceable part like a timing belt etc

luckily its all straight forward and common sense on the 8v so no real problems - just get it skimmed tho - just to be on safe side - dont half arse it after going to the hassle of removing the head.

fit a new timing belt, tensioner and water pump at same time, also advise the thermostat too as its located behind the belt and its a common failure on the 8v

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As above, if it ain't broke why fix it ? My 1.6 8 valve has done 103000 and I am not going to touch the head unless I have problems. But if you decide to go ahead anyway there is no need to skim the head - just check it carefully with a straight edge for flatness and look for any damage or cracks. Since the head gasket hasn't actually blown yet the head should be fine.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    there was signs of it being blown, the oil was creamy and it was drinking water and running like crap,
    anyway, i fotted another head and a new head gasket and its no better at all, tried another coil pack, ht leads and spark plugs and still no success
    still running on 3 cylinders and struggling to run, i really dont know what could be up with it

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question I too have a water oil head problem, is this a quick fix?

Hi Joined yesterday so if I do something I shouldn't please forgive and help. Ta.

I have just found that water is disappearing, with no leakage ., and have the dreaded white soft cheese in the oil.

Am not currently able to do do it myself, on my recently acquired Astra 2003 1.6 auto envoy.

looking on the web it would appear cost basic is 3 to 5 hundred, assuming just gasket but if cracked etc the may be £1000/ new engine.

Don't have money at mo but found this,www.steelseal.co.uk/index.asp.

I would be interested in opinions. It may help a lot of people if any good!Best regards to all

Thanks Andrew

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,
    I have no experience of that product, but I know of a similar one that works - believe it's called cargo seal or similar name. A mate of mine has a peugot 405 diesel with leaking head gasket which has been running for 2 years using this. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it but it does work if it's only water leaking. It has got to be worth a try for a few pounds if you can't afford to fix it properly.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    there was signs of it being blown, the oil was creamy and it was drinking water and running like crap,
    anyway, i fotted another head and a new head gasket and its no better at all, tried another coil pack, ht leads and spark plugs and still no success
    still running on 3 cylinders and struggling to run, i really dont know what could be up with it
    check your injectors may need cleaning my uncle had the same prob and the injectors were causing it