Thread: Cooking oil

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cooking oil

Hi there people, I have an Astra 2.0 sri on a 53 plate and I'm considering running it on rapeseed oil. However, I understand there are issues with it being too thick for lucas injector pumps to suck up to lubricate themselves. I don't want to run the car on 100% oil, 50/50 would be nice though. I know there are people out there who just fill up with chip fat and do many happy miles - I'm not that lucky!

So my question is, does my car have the lucas injector pump/can it be swapped for a bosch one made of sterner stuff and would heating the fuel to thin it mean that the lucas unit (if fitted) would cope? more than one I know.

I'm doing 600 plus a week so any tips on how to make my little work horse run cheaper would be much appreciated.

Thanks for looking

Rich

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi richardttt and welcome to the forum,

Interesting question that - heaps of info on the net about using straight vegetable oil and biodiesel in diesels. Maybe you've already read through info on Diesel Bob's site (under Vegetable Bob).

True some people install heaters to try to thin the vegetable oil, or mix with dino diesel, kerosene - or you could try making it into biodiesel as it is less viscous, although it is a bit of work and you sure want to do it right or you could stuff up your pump bigtime.

Don't know whether you could change to a Bosch pump on your engine...

You could try searchng for info on various biodiesel sites

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hey I haven't confirmed this but skimming through the info for the Y20DTH and Y20DTL and even X20DTL engines it seemed to suggest that all use a VP44 injection pump - which I thought was a Bosch pump.

Can you tell me which engine you have (sri doesn't mean anything to TIS 2000) and did you already confirm that you have a Lucas pump?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just dont get caught using Pure Veg oil, endless disputes about dodging tax duty!
    Astra Coupe Bertone 1.8