Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Welder Advice

Hey everyone.

I am looking at buying a welder, I have just read the haynes welding manual which was a very good read and give me a lot of information.

I have never used a welder before but would like to be able to weld, it doesn't sound like it should be too hard to learn with a bit of practice.

I would like to get a welder that would allow me to weld pretty much anything on the car, main thing being exhausts (stainless steel) but also things like replacing arches, welding engine mounts, roll cages etc in the future.

I have had a look about and I have found this welder

SEALEY MIGHTYMIG 150 GAS & GASLESS 150AMP MIG WELDER on eBay (end time 26-Mar-10 15:25:11 GMT)

It seems to be ideal but not knowing much about welders i have no idea if it would be up to the jobs I want to do.

I dont have power in my garage yet and I am just running an extension real out everytime I want to have power, from the specs this uses about 4.5kw of power which i work out at about 18-19 amps so I would assume this isn't suitable for a welder and I will need to get some real power out to the garage.

Any tips or advice for a newbie welder would be appreciated.
    David.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Thumbs Up

im interested in this thread because i really want to learn how to weld, but unsure of what to buy and how to practise.

someone will be along soon with all the answers

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im a fab/welder, mig or tig is the easiest to learn from start. obviosly college's do courses you can go on, there will be videos everywere. just take your time and dont rush it, its also a good idea to no your metals and thickness's, when you come to weld something thin like stainless tube for exhaust's you dont want your amps really high and blast a dirty hole through it, (ive done it loads of times) as i said try to get on a course and do some practice it will be better coming from a trained tutor who's done it for 40odd years than a welder who done it for about 5 years, im fully qualified but better it came from a tutor

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have had a couple of cheap arc welders from B&Q etc, there ok for small jobs and practicing with, but compare them to the welders i used to put the roll cages into out autograss cars, there like little toys.
    a cheap welder from a DIY shop will be fine for welding up exhausts and stuff, also for welding on car panels a spot welder is ideal, if you seem weld car panels on the heat warps the steel if not done very carefully.
    i have no experience with gasless welders though so im quite keen to find out how they perform.
    as for a half decent welder you can weld mounts with, i would suggest spending about £200 on a used mig welder, there really simple to use.
    the hardest part of welding is setting the welder up for the task your doing, rod speed and power etc. once its set up right its quite easy really.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did a welding course at the VX training school years ago! At that time they went down to the J.C. picked 10 candidates, stuck a mig in their hands, gave them a few hours training and the best 3 got the job....

It's like learning to ride a bike, takes a while to get the hang of it and then it's practice, practice, practice......

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for all the replies, the welding itself I shouldn't have a problem with and I know it will take a bit of practice to get it right, I don't mind putting the hours in to get it right.

Any opinions of the welder i linked to or can you advice any other welders that I should look at?

Quote Originally Posted by gsi_lee87 View Post
    im interested in this thread because i really want to learn how to weld, but unsure of what to buy and how to practise.

someone will be along soon with all the answers
    The haynes welding manual book is very good, isnt that long so should only take a few days or so to get through depending on how much you read it, very informative and explained all the types of welding etc.