Thread: water pump failure/timing marks on camshaft sprockets.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)

water pump failure/timing marks on camshaft sprockets.

Hi

I have got a problem with a mk4 astra, i think the water pump has totaly gone. There has been a sort of rattle sound around the cam area and yesterday the sound got really loud, then lost prettty much all power, the engine managment light came on so quickly stopped and turned off the engine the coolant was also boiling. After that it woulnt start. now the crank does not turn and the starter motor just makes a funny spin noise.
    I took the top cam sprocket cover off and the pumps sprocket is bent and not sitting straight so im guessing the bearing has failed the cam belt is a little slack too.
    I wanted to take the lower cover off to have a better look but i think the crank pulley needs to be removed. is this right? So i went to line the marks up on the cam pulleys and noticed there are painted marks and like a notched mark.

Does this look right or has the belt slipped because of water pump failure. Looking in the manual it looks as if the painted marks should meet but looking at this the are totaly out?

Can anyone help.

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    If its on a z2let then the timing marks to match the cams up to are on the platic cover behind the pullys but someone may of put tip ex marks on the pullys to make there own timing marks when they did a cam belt change for some reason

You will need to turn the crank to time the engine up also so you cant tell by just taking the cover off

AOC top 15 car at PVS 2009 & 2010
    313.7bhp/343Ibft

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    What is a z2let? I couldn't see any marks on the plastic cover behind the cams? Do you think i should line the notched marks up and take the crank pulley off to check to see if that is lined up correctly?. Also how can i get the nut undone on the crank as the belt it to slack to lock the cams in place?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    47 Post(s)
    What engine is this question about?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    im not sure the engine number but its a 1998 1.6 sport

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team