Thread: Vauxhall astra diesel 1.7 DTL surging problem

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Vauxhall astra diesel 1.7 DTL surging problem

Hi can anyone give me a few ideas regarding a surging problem that is intermittent .The cars not mine ,it's a Vauxhall astra diesel 1.7 DTL 1999 on a V problem only happens now and again ...Thought it might have been maf sensor so changed that and still the same.Also his temp gauge don't work ..fitted new thermostat and temp sensor still the same.I put my op-com on to read any fault codes and it comes up with a couple saying sucking blower motor fault ? this came under cooling module test ..any ideas what this means..Also could the cooling module cause it to surge or is this just for fan to come on..

Any ideas appreciated .

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Does this model have any issues with egr valve?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I believe I have heard of EGR problems with that engine - its a newer version of my X17DTL but also has a solenoid control valve. I would remove and clean the EGR valve and check the vacuum line to it - make sure its clean inside (no oil contamination) and connection is good. Similarly check vacuum lines to the solenoid valve and check connections there as well. If there is any sign of oil in the vacuum lines clean them out and check the vacuum pump itself. The oil seals could be leaking or there is a component in the vacuum pump that sometimes fails.

There are probably two fans a "puller" fan and a "pusher" fan. And I think there is a cooling system module for that car - I suppose it could be faulty...

And then there's just the usual ECU faulty solder joints that can cause all sorts of issues (and confusion over what's really at fault)....

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Hi thanks for the reply.. I know that a lot of vauxhalls have suffered with the EGR but i would have thought it would have shown up in my op-com when i put it on the car ? is it easy enough to clean the EGR on this car.

Cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    EGR valve should be dead easy to remove and clean with either carb cleaner or engine degreaser or whatever. Its just some clamp thing holding it on. Could be a little stuck in the intake manifold due to the accumulated black-sooty-oily-crud.

Don't know why it wouldn't show up with your op-com if there is a fault there, but worth checking and cleaning anyway. And worth checking the solenoid and all vacuum lines too...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mines been doing it for ages. Iv got the EML on now, checked it on computer at mates its the EGR im gunna take it off and clean before i replace it.