AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Leaking Oil Radiator ??

Hi everyone, first post on the forum so will try and describe my problem

I have a 51 plate 2.0l dti

There is an "oil radiator" which sits just behind the front grill, the oil radiator is infront of the water radiator, hope that makes sense only way I can describe it.

It is leaking oil only slightly where the plastic bit meets the metal fins at the bottom of the radiator,

Just wanted to know about best way to fix it or will it need replacing, if it does need replacing what is it actually called ?? then at least I can pretend I know what Im talking about when I go for the part

Thanks

Yvonne

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi Yvonne and welcome to the forum (all the way from NZ),

Its an oil cooler similar to the one on my 1996 Astra with the 1.7L X17DTL engine. Hard to say whether it will need replacing or whether it can be fixed - maybe some connection has come loose or there could be a pinhole leak or a tiny fracture somewhere. A little oil leaking with road dirt etc thrown on top looks a right mess.

If you have a can of engine degreaser I would spray on and around the oil cooler, maybe use a brush to help loosen the crud, wash it off with water, dry it and see if you can see exactly where it is leaking.

If you do need to replace it but don't want to pay a fortune for one, I have seen the oil coolers on ebay, or might have to get one off a vehicle being dismantled....

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Strange - from your description sounds exactly like an oil cooler, but I just tried looking it up with TIS 2000 and with EPC and don't see anything like the oil cooler on my car. There is a oil heat exchanger described but it nothing like a "radiator". I'll keep looking...

Is your car a 2001 Astra G (Mk4) with the Y20DTH engine (or is it the Y20 DTL)?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi thanks for all your help, ok all I know is, it is a 2001 mk4 2l dti 16v, I think there is a serial number on the "radiator" so will check but will have to wait till tomorrow as its peeing it down outside and nearly dark, bet your weather is better over in NZ !!!!,

Going to sound really stupid now but what is the difference between an Astra G and an Astra H, I have noticed this alot and didnt now what the difference was, and Im sure I have seen an Astra J ???

Mine is a five door hatchback on a 51 plate

I will get the serial number tomorrow and let you know once again thanks for your help Paul,

Yvonne

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    well after searching around I can't find anything about an oil cooler radiator like the one on my X17DTL for your engine, so maybe you will have to ignore my post saying that's what it is - sorry about that. Don't know what it is...maybe somebody else knows.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 73astra View Post
    Hi thanks for all your help, ok all I know is, it is a 2001 mk4 2l dti 16v, I think there is a serial number on the "radiator" so will check but will have to wait till tomorrow as its peeing it down outside and nearly dark, bet your weather is better over in NZ !!!!,

Going to sound really stupid now but what is the difference between an Astra G and an Astra H, I have noticed this alot and didnt now what the difference was, and Im sure I have seen an Astra J ???

Mine is a five door hatchback on a 51 plate

I will get the serial number tomorrow and let you know once again thanks for your help Paul,

Yvonne
    Mine is what they call an mk3 which is the same as an Astra F. Yours is an mk4 which is the same as an Astra G. Astra H is even newer, must be an mk5. Didn't even know they have an Astra J - guess that's an mk6.

I've looked it up enough times to know that according to the registration system used in the UK, a "51 plate" means year 2001. According to TIS 2000 info n that year there were two 2 litre diesel engines Y20DTH and Y20DTL. Probably Isuzu vs GM engine. TIS 2000 suggests both are 16V.

That's good if you can see a part number on the "radiator" - can try looking it up...

Weather has been great here but we are having the first hints of autumn, but winter isn't so bad in Auckland, never see snow (frost sometimes), just lots of rain...

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    transmission oil cooler radiator maybe...? I just saw a partial diagram of one of those for an automatic transmission on EPC. Is your's an automatic?

Follow the oil feed and return lines - do they go to the engine or the transmission?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    hey maybe its not an oil cooler at all - maybe its an air conditioning condenser - got a diagram suggestion that's right up front...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Paul, have just checked with the serial code and it is an Intercooler, so will have to give it a good clean and see whats happening then, hopefully it will be a quick repair,

Thanks

Yvonne

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Well that's hilarious really - not an oil cooler at all.

There shouldn't be any oil leaking from the intercooler at all as it has no oil supply or return. So yes, I would clean up the entire area with engine degreaser and once cleaned up keep an eye on it - maybe it was nothing just a bit of spilled oil...