Thread: drilling out snapped manifold stud

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry drilling out snapped manifold stud

i know there has been many threads regarding this matter but would like to know what is the best way of removing the stud as i am going to attempt it very soon as the sound of my Z20LET on start up is an embarrassment, sounds like a 1972 beetle !!! LOL...
    can anyone who had done this mission please msg me any tips and tricks that they used ny info will be brilliant
    p.s the stud that has snapped off is the 1 on the far left behind the turbo which is just F##king brilliant...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i struggled and struggled with mine - eventually made it worse then gave up and put the turbo back on

car is now off the road for a year or so therefore head is coming off to be rebuilt or may just be replaced - wouldnt fancy doing it on the car again unless all the front end was taken off - still id rather remove it and do it on a bench

good luck is all ill say!

is the stud proud of the head or flush or worse still (like mine was) inside the head?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    inside the head by about 5 mm. spoke to an enginner but he wants £45 an hour to do it plus the cost of materials ie new gasket bolts and nuts which i've seen on ebay for £89.99 for the set so gonna be a dear 1 just for the sake of a broken stud.. the engineer thinks about 3 to 4 hours labour as will need to take turbo off

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    whip the head off and send it down to an engine speicalist, thats what im doing simply because i cant be arsed with the hassle of drilling it and tapping new threads, pain in the arse tbh
    some mechanic i am lol
    GSi

Built not Bought

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mean more money spent!! new cylinder gasket plus cylinder bolts etc etc easiest and cheapest way is to get a 90 degree drill on the bugger. i might leave it to the engineers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Happened on mine, even though mine isnt a turbo. Best thing to do is take the head off (isnt that hard) then it will be easier to get to the stud.

Put some penetrating fluid in there and leave it for a while then remove it using a set of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12PC-BROKEN-SC...item35a3af7e6b

It takes abit of time and effort but its alot cheaper then sending it to engineer.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    will i have to buy another head gasket for when i put the head back on .. also will the car need timing again ??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    timings easy mate. Im not techincaly minded and i managed it, theres a guide on zlet site

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    had mine dne in cardiff mate cost me around £130 about a year ago
    Astra gsi turbo Black = z20leh forged courtenay sport stage 4 with there uprated clutch,lightened flywheel 3ch exhaust = very happy bhp

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Use an easy-out

Ot just get two nut and tighten them up against each other and use the inside nut to draw the stud out... Did this the first time, and used an easy outhe second time.
    Hey YOU See Oooour Reeegin Noooo ! Toss Yer Caber Here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast