Thread: Dash light intermittent problem ?????

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dash light intermittent problem ?????

my dash illumination lights work when they want sometimes if i give the dash a bang they come on but not always, the high beam light (blue one) and indicator lights all work just the illumination lights are playing up, also includes the centre console lights, excluding the digi display. if anyone has any ideas i would be greatfull thanks

vauxcoupe
    You do know theres a dimmer switch where you put the mainlights on dont you?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vauxcoupe View Post
    You do know theres a dimmer switch where you put the mainlights on dont you?
    I would say it's more chance of a loose connection rather than the dimmer switch being off ,as if he bangs the dash they come on sometimes

vauxcoupe
    Just suggesting as sometimes av noticed ma knee or something triggers the switch when getting in/out and before i knew i had that switch when bought i used to give it a knock too! went to change all the fuses n bulbs and found reading the owners manual...wolla problem fixed!
    SO just a suggestion mate.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah deffo not the dimmer switch thanks for the suggestion though, think it is going to be something like a loose connection aswell but its just where to start? i have electrical problems lol give me a dented wing no probs know what iv got to do there but can mess with electrical faults for hours and get no where. think ill start with taking the spedo cluster out as thats where i bang when it sometimes workes. any more suggestions welcome thanks all

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Possibly a faulty headlight switch mate

Next time they don't work see if the fog lights do
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    does on seem to be working at all now could it be the actuall switch unit or more likely to be a loose connection

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Try the speedo cluster it may well be the block connector at the rear , try moving it side to side with the lights on before you actually slide it out of the dash ,if you can make it light up could be a simple lose fitting plug which you could close up the individual connector with fine jewelers screwdriver but don't over do it ,better of trying a little at a time rather than bend it right out of shape ,It's not going to be a bad earth otherwise you would have problems with the other cluster lights, Or as Autosparks said the switch which as far as I know can only be replaced if at fault , it can only be one or the other

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vauxcoupe View Post
    Just suggesting as sometimes av noticed ma knee or something triggers the switch when getting in/out and before i knew i had that switch when bought i used to give it a knock too! went to change all the fuses n bulbs and found reading the owners manual...wolla problem fixed!
    SO just a suggestion mate.
    I know it was a sugestion mate I was just pionting out why it couldn't be , I to have had occasion when the dash lights have been dim and not been aware I'd touched the dimmer

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok m8 ill try that thanks for al the advice