Thread: Alarm problem

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Alarm problem

When I locked and deadlocked my car today with the remote, I happened to check the flashing led on the hazard light switch, and noticed that rather than being lit for 10 seconds and then flashing occasionally, it flashed quickly for 10 seconds and then settled down, to occasional flashes. These flashes MAY have been more rapid than when the alarm was working properly, but I can't be sure. The main thing I noticed was the rapid flashing for the first 10 seconds or so.

I've opened and closed every door, the boot + the bonnet (bonnet switch looked a little worn but still seems to operate) and I did a paperclip test just incase, but theres no faults. The Astra handbook says a quick flashing of the lights indicates a system fault... is this something I need to get checked by Vauxhall?

Car is a 1999 Astra 5 door CDX, x18xe1

Thanks in advance

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Yeah Vauxhall will have to look into this or someone clued up with op com
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right well I took it somewhere to get the faults read, and predictably they couldn't get any. I then took it to Vauxhall, who had a look and said 'yeah it's arming properly'.

So this evening I tried setting the alarm, and then opening each door in turn. All doors, the bonnet + interior sensors set off the alarm, but I couldn't get the boot to set it off, and I also tried pushing the car up and down on the boot to set the tilt sensor off, but nothing happened.

Is there a particular way I can check the boot switch? Is it the same one that controls the boot light, because I can push the switch to make the light go off and vice versa.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    The only time I set my alarm off for the tilt sensor was when I let a jack down

The boot switch does both the alarm and light but on different circuits from the same switch

if the lights flashing quickly they should be able to see why it's doing that.
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that mate.

So if I were to open the boot, hold down the switch (boot light goes off), lock the car, wait for the alarm to arm, release the switch (boot light comes on) and the alarm doesn't go off, then I have a problem with the boot switch circuit somewhere? At least that narrows it down!

I took it to Vaux and they didn't seem that interested, he thought it was OK and arming fine, I showed him the alarm worked so it was quite nice that he didn't tell me it needed 5 hours at £10000 per hour to diagnose the fault!

Plus, I'll have to be more rigorous with the tilt sensor Honestly, what car thief is going to jump around on the car to steal stuff?

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Tilt sensors only there to protect your wheels

Yes thats the way to test the boot switch but that alone wouldn't cause the LED to flash fast

IF you find the boot doesn't work it could be due to broken wires in the grommet, this could lead onto other broken wires for the heated rear window which is also on the alarm circuit and could cause the LED to flash fast

All this is assuming you have a hatchback

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah I do have a hatchback.

Anyway I tried this out, the alarm does go off when I release the boot switch (as soon as the light comes on) so that's not the problem.

I still couldn't get the tilt alarm to go off, pushing on various corners of the car, but as you say, its not supposed to be that sensitive.

HOWEVER, I managed to lock the car with the drives window open, wait for the light to slow down flashing i.e. its armed, I then put the key in the ignition, turned it and the engine started. I thought that was supposed to set off the alarm?

So all doors set off the alarm, as do the interior sensors, but not the ignition or tilt switch, unless I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks again for your help

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    The alarm will disarm because it recognises the transponder signal that switches off your immobiliser, it's the only other way the alarm will disarm apart from the remote

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hmm, I'm sure I've managed to set it off that way before.

Assuming that I was actually setting off another sensor on the previous occasions, how do I test the functionality of the immobiliser/ignition alarm? And if they're all working, then why the hell is the LED flashing when it arms, and does it even really matter?

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Maybe you unlocked the door manually which would have triggered the alarm before it switches off when you turn the key? If you want to test the immobiliser/ alarm disarm side of things with the key remove the remote part and you'll see a small black chip inside.

Remove that chip but don't loose is then try the window open/ start trick again

Something like a fault on the total closure system can cause the LED to fash fast but then vauxhall would have seen that in the fault codes.

Question: When the alarm sounds do you get a siren or maybe just a horn?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast