Thread: Stainless steel exhaust advice please

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Stainless steel exhaust advice please

Just been quoted £159 including VAT and fitting for a Longlife stainless steel exhaust rear section that I'm told will take care of the mid-rear section flange. (Local exhaust centre quoted £136+VAT for mild steel rearward of the mid-section silencer)
    1. Should I watch out for Longlife exhaust for any particular reason?
    2. The connecting exhaust pipe from the rear of the mid-section silencer to rear section flange looks a little corroded. Will this mainly be replaced by a stainless tube as part of the fitting process?
    3. They mentioned the sound being standard or having a note. Will the note be very noticeable or seem pointless or a standard 2001 1.6 16v SXi?
    I have only just had the front flexible hose section replaced for £115 including VAT and fitting from mild steel so I'm really kicking myself. In fact its probably all the bashing they had to do to get the front flexible hose section off the made the already weak mid-section to rear section flange give up.

I realise that exhaust systems are often to individual taste so welcome and appreciate any advice, either way.....

Many thanks
    Whiteline RARB & Strut Brace with Eibach Pro, Bilstein B4s & RnD Droplinks - FARB Powerflex'd

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if u wanted iv got a mk4 decat and 3" rear box £120 if u wanted to collect it?

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    i have heard good and bad about longlife, seems to be down to the individual depot. they will either cut off the rotted flange and pop a sleeve fit on for you or weld in another flange connector, just make sure that they do not just chop off the flange and weld the back box onto the centre section as you will end up with a one piece system. the exhaust note won't change that much with a back box alone as the sheer size of the centre section silencer strangles most of the sound

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1412 View Post
    just make sure that they do not just chop off the flange and weld the back box onto the centre section as you will end up with a one piece system.
    Thanks for the reply. Not sure what you mean by this, sorry (my limited knowledge ). I'll have a go at how I understand it - They talked about putting a sleeve on so guess the sleeve must negate the need for a weld, giving the option to change the centre section, hence remaining a multi-piece system. Does that seem right?

BTW just said standard to engine note!

Thanks
    Whiteline RARB & Strut Brace with Eibach Pro, Bilstein B4s & RnD Droplinks - FARB Powerflex'd

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    if they pop a sleeve on then you will be fine and this will keep it a multi part system that can be split as required.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if its a standard engine note then why bother?

just whack on a direct replacement part and have the necessary sleeve welded on by a local garage

OR

buy an off the shelf cat back system (centre section and rear section)

anything from £150 upwards

done!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    If only I hadn't just had the front flexible hose bit fitted for £115. Doh!

Longlife Cat-back system £329, Middle and rear £299 and Rear £159 (all fitted inc. VAT).

I'll think its worth getting the stainless steel at a very similar price to the mild steel but maybe go for a mild sport engine note, with a view to when the middle section needs replacing (£169 fitted) as I can't afford/justify the whole lot just at this moment.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Got to the Exhaust centre today. Only trouble is that its not an exhaust centre at all, its in-car entertainment shop thats only been dabbling in exhausts since February. I'm not going to be using them at all.

Can't be bother now..........Just going back to the local exhaust centre as the £136 + VAT is for centre and rear section fitted (confirmed today).