Thread: No sound from speakers (CD30)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No sound from speakers (CD30)

It was working fine last night but when I got in the car this morning there is no sound coming from any of the speakers.

The radio and CD seem to be working OK. I haven't added any extras to the system.

I've been through the manual and checked all the settings with no joy. The mute isn't on.

Anyone gone any ideas please as to what is wrong? A setting I'm missing maybe?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not looking good . The kind man at Halfords took the radio out and all the wires are in properly.

I then popped to an audio place who want to take the radio out and send it away thinking that maybe something has blown in the main unit. I'll hang fire to see if anyone from here can help.

Thinking about it, without the unit being connected to my car would anywhere but Vauxhall be able to see if it was working ok?

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Any car stereo repaires should be able to see if there's any faulty with the internal amp on the headunit but all your problems could be caused by a blown/ shorting out speaker

With the headunit out and unplugged and if you have access to a multimeter tests every speaker wire for 4 ohms and test every speaker wire for open circuit to ground
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you for the advice Autosparks. I'll try the multimeter on the wires first then the unit.

I'll report back as to what the fault was.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Strange thing happened this morning in that the speakers started working. I then stopped and when I got back in the car again they'd stopped working again.

Does this help to indicate where the problem lies?

My mate's lent his multimeter out and won't get it back to later in the week.

EDIT: just found out that if I open the offside rear door the speakers come on and then go off again when I close it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Check the wiring going into that door.
    You may have damaged cables. Speaker wires in the rear doors are coloured Green & Brown/Green or White & Brown/White on the car side.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you for that SQ Man.

I took the rubber covering off that protects the wires between the door and post and what had happened to the wires was a bit of a shocker.

The brown/white and white wires had snapped and three other wires had the sheathing broken. I don't know but would think I've been lucky that these wires hadn't touched each other and caused some damage.

Good news is that it's all fixed now and working. I'm going to check the other side to make sure that's OK.

It could be worth you all checking yours to avoid any possible problems in the future.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quite a common problem on some cars, surprised at the Mk5's showing this so early on in it's life though.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Glad to hear the problems been found, pretty shocking that a audio shop didn't fault find it and just wanted to send the headunit away
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason