Thread: Had a lucky escape tonight

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Had a lucky escape tonight

I'll cut the long story short really, went to see my gf and when i left we went and sat in my car for a bit before i drove home.
    Sat there for about half an hour (in a mk4 hatch) at which time i had the heated rear window on, fan on setting one and cd player on, on volume level 5 but i do have a sub and amp to, but the volume wasnt on loud. Just when i was going to leave the cd player flickers off and stops playing. Then the button for the rear heated window light wasnt on anymore. Turned the cd player on again and it came to life then died again and the light on it dimly flashed a bit at which time i was bricking it thinking the wiring was messed up.
    Went to start the engine and it barely turns over, with every turn on the motor the interior light went off and on (thats how little power was there).

Tried starting it again and the engine starts to turn over a little more easily, and in about 10 seconds of trying it coughs to life. So luckily i managed to get home.

Dragged this story out a bit i guess but ive got a couple of questions now:

1. On my Corsa B which had a knackerd battery on it and the same sound system as on my Astra, how come i could play music with the engine off much longer and the car would start fine, yet on my Astra it killed the battery on a quiet volume in half an hour? It is the original battery and its an 04 plate.

2. Does the ECU somehow gather all power and send it to the starter motor because when i tried to start it it barely turned over, but when i kept trying it seems to 'loosen up' and started. It was also strange how the rear heated window stopped working as did the CD player.

Everything is working now though obviously, i drove home with no electrics other than headlights to try and get the alternator to restore some power.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the fan kills my battery very quickly on my astra, music dont have a problem with, and i dont no about rear heated screen

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EazyDuz View Post
    It is the original battery and its an 04 plate.
    Dont know the answers to your other questions, but I'd start by replacing the battery.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Was your corsa B a diesel? If so then the battery would be larger capacity...If not, maybe it's just your battery isnt as good as the past one, or the astra may have more electronics than the corsa..
    Astra Coupe Bertone 1.8

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vauxhall16v View Post
    Was your corsa B a diesel? If so then the battery would be larger capacity...If not, maybe it's just your battery isnt as good as the past one, or the astra may have more electronics than the corsa..
    Nah it was a 1.2 16v petrol. It was a very old battery and did need replacing eventually. Obviously the astra engine is a lot bigger and the fans sound more powerful when you turn them on in a silent car. On comparison the corsa heating system sounded weak but i didnt know the fans would use so much power.
    Must just be the combo of fans, cd player and rear heater that drained it then. Going to charge the batt tomorrow and see what state its in.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Your battery is nackered, 6 years is a good life, time it was replaced.
    If you're going to be sitting listening to music turn off things like the rear window heater as they are quite power hungry.
    Also might be a good idea to fit a larger capacity battery, if you can afford it.
    Standard Vauxhall batteries are the best "ordinary" batteries out there.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SQ Man View Post
    Your battery is nackered, 6 years is a good life, time it was replaced.
    If you're going to be sitting listening to music turn off things like the rear window heater as they are quite power hungry.
    Also might be a good idea to fit a larger capacity battery, if you can afford it.
    Standard Vauxhall batteries are the best "ordinary" batteries out there.
    Ah ok. Its odd because the car hasnt skipped a beat when starting up cold in the morning since i got it about 3 weeks ago.
    I bought a very good high capacity battery for my Corsa which has now been scrapped but i kept the good battery, dont suppose it would fit my Astra would it?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes mate, will go straight in, the trays on the astras are pretty big unless you have some huge diesel or lorry battery lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its the heated screen - you dont run that for 30 mins without the engine on. your lucky there was any juice left. Batteries 6 yrs old probably give about 50% of the capacity they state - even when new they rarely hold 100%. In cold weather they are less effective.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    sub and amp and a heated rear window are a big draw on current, add to that your fans then of course its not going to start, my astra is the same, and i put a new diesel battery (straight swap) in.
    1.6 8 valve, 5 door, soon to be a 5 studded let with crusty arches