Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Z19DTH emissions light and 04005A code

Hi guys

Just had the emissions light come on and also had a EML light for a minute or so. Did pedal test and came up with 04005a "EGR FLOW MALFUNCTION". Apart from the lights the car is running fine, no limp mode etc......

Does any anyone know if I need a new EGR valve (Ive cleaned it twice now) or can it relate to something else.

Ive seen this on a website:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Va...0181aded4&EGRV

I dont fancy going to the main dealers for one. Do you think this would do the job?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hello bigwoody normally mate when your egr valve is playing up you tend to get reduced power in the lower rev range ,maybe hang back for a bit buying that egr valve untill your car starts showing symthoms..

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy

Cheers.

Its due MOT soon though, I dont think it will pass with the emissions light on.

I dont know what to do now to be honest!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Does your car have a dpf on it? if it does im sure it will go through the mot and may even do if it hasnt.

An egr valve from a main dealer is only £123 +vat which may be worth considering rather than non-gen one,

When you say you've cleaned it out have you vleaned the internals of the black part out as this is the main bit that sticks.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    DPF?

I couldnt get into the black part of the EGR, I couldnt get one of the bolts out and ended up chewing up the head of the bolt. Whoops!

The EGR on my car at the minute is a Pierburg, same as the one Ive seen for sale. Maybe these are the same as the dealers sell?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah main dealer parts are pierburg.

DPF is a diesel particulate filter. Not all the early models had them.

Egr valve proper clean out needs the two halfs splitting then a little hole drilling in the end of the black part near where the plug connects so you can tap out the internals with a hammer and punch (being careful to watch which order the pieces come out). This part holds the main plunger that controls the valve and this is the part that sticks seizes over time.

This near on always sorts the egr valve unless the electrical side fails which i've not seen that much off.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I couldnt tell you about the DPF. My cars a 2006 Z19DTH. Would that have one?

Yeah I was gutted when I got all the bolts out bar one and then chewed up the head!! Ive had re-occuring problems with the EGR and I was hoping if I got the black bit cleaned out also that all would be good again! No way Im going to get it apart now!!

Maybe I'll be best waiting then, see if it passes the MOT and if it developes any issues with poor power etc.....

Thanks for the help.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah may be worth waiting and see if it gets worse. Also book it in for a waiting mot and give it a good run before you get there so its nice and hot for the emissions test and it should sail through.

Out of interest where are you located? I have a second hand egr valve at work that i could clean out for you and post if you fancy covering postage or deliver if you aint too far away.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im in Bradford, how about you?

Sounds good. How much would you want for it?