Thread: Fuel starvation

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Fuel starvation

Just a quick note about a problem I have which I sort of solved...

2001 Y DTI Astravan 107K (no frills- OK maybe Central locking!)

Original problem: Hunting while ticking over. Should have been 850rpm but more like 400 then 1100rpm. No codes on the pedal test.

I thought Fuel filter, so I changed that for a Mann one from ARE. Worked fine for 10 mins then died in the middle of Aldershot. I looked in the fuel filter house and it's half full of fuel. Got a tow back from a very kind total Stranger.

Logically you think something else is causing the problem, fuel pump , fuel lines, injectors, i.e. expensive, expensive and expensive.

Temporary Solution: I bought some clear plastic tube from the local brewing shop (It's used for draining demijons) and connected it to an inline fuel filter and watched the bubbles go round. The vehicle ran fine and didn't splutter once.

I then went to Vauxhall for a proper GM fuel filter, put that in and it coughed and spluttered and died. So'now I'm running back through an inline filter with proper fuel pipe.

Conclusion: I have some how damaged the top of the fuel filter housing and it's letting in air.

Any ides, apart flea bay for a new fuel filter housing.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi Mumpy and welcome to the forum,

That's a good description of your problem, good observation of the air leak into the fuel filter, and probably a spot on guess at the problem - damage of some sort at the top of the fuel filter housing.

Recently someone else had a similar problem (maybe on another forum) and he zeroed in on that area - found what described as a broken "clip" of some sort on the end of the fuel line. I haven't seen one of these "clips" myself (mine is just old fashioned banjo bolt connections and copper washers) but I gather that there is some sort of quick connection and clip.

The guy tried to get a replacement "clip" but I gather that Vauxhall couldn't find just that part alone but the entire fuel line - and my copy of EPC seems to confirm that - makes it look like the connection bit is part of the fuel line (manufactured with it or something). I wondered whether he could just repair it somehow but never heard the end of the story.

I think you're saying you got around the problem by installing a non-Vauxhall in-line filter and it works - that's great. Just stick with that until maybe you can find the problem and fix it or as you say buy one on flea bay or off a similar car being dismantled.

Good luck with it and thanks for posting that - Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how did you manage to damage the top of the fuel filter?