Thread: Speed Sensor (hub)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Speed Sensor (hub)

Just a quick one, my speed sensor has been playing up for a while but has now packed up completely...i think!

I did take the wheel off and clean the electrical connector that clips onto the strut( the big white connector that unclips)

but after looking on e bay I noticed that, where the wire goes into the hub there is a blue plate type thing(bad word to describe something i know) which then leads up to this other connector i talked about (above paragraph)

What i was wondering is can this also be taken out for cleaning to? When i look at it when the wheel is off you can see it and could possibly get it off...if its meant to??? anybody know before i go ripping stuff out

Thanks

James

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As far as I'm aware they are sealed , you could try and spray some switch cleaner in and around the sensor to see if you could maybe shift some dirt , other than that it looks like you are looking at a new hub

Kim
    Does this make your car stall alot?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    not a lot now and again, i have fault code 0500 and sometimes the light comes up, after this , the next junction i pull up too, hits idle and drops off and stalls.

im guessing its something like the ECU cutting out the engine due to the fault code and light flashing up, only happens at those times....but after this the light goes and its fine

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    needs a whole new hub. mine wen't on my coupe turbo and played havoc with the ABS
    Astra VXR - Arden Blue, Diamond cut 19's, Cruise Control, Debaged, Folding Mirrors, CD70 NAVI and CID + Aux-In, Factory Bluetooth, Piano Black Interior Trim, Full Milltek Unresonated Exhaust

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    You can get new hubs on ebay for around £55 to 70
    make sure you get one with the sensor obviously

and try to get sfk make,(the same as vauvhall dealers supply)

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    James do you have a knocking sound coming from that corner of the car?

I have a noise coming from the front left hand side, like bearing going. but its been in the garage 3 times.

I get the same fault code as above ECN 0500**. I have cleared it serveral times, so the garage reckon that it could be the speed sensor making that noise but said them dont really want to change it unless them know for sure.

Its been running fine for over a year (apart from that noise) so I doubt its wheel bearings due to the mileage I do, it would of fell of by now and the noise anit any louder.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

No knocking noise, just no speedo which is just f'in annoying lol. There is no noise but if im not wrong the speed sensor/hub includes the bearing?? which is what helps it pick up the speed signal....

need someone to correct/confirm me on that though....

on another note, after having to replace my hub carrier (well a mate did) i feel pretty confident i know how to do it. (yes i am also looking at buying a haynes manual to stop asking these questions) but....but when we done it we did have problems undoing one of the ends (either rollbar link or other the one for tracking) as the bolt kept spinning.

So how would i go about getting this off easily, do i need a flat spanner to fit above the main bolt or i keep hearing about ball joint seperators, but i also hear they mess up the joint....

any help on this much appriciated as usual

Could also take a few snaps and do a how to for anyone needing it, not very good at explaining so may need editing lol

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    anyone? will the ball joint splitter mess the joint up, or is there another way?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You don't need to take the balljoint or the track rod end out to replace the hub assembly. Instead undo the strut (x2 18mm bolts/nuts) and push the steering arm in towards the body as far it will go, then pull the top of the hub where the strut mounts out towards you and down, you'll then be able to use a pry bar to lever the shaft out. Takes a bit manipulating but it is doable and saves splitting any of the balljoint or track rod end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast