Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Astra Mk5 Z16XEP - Rough idle and fault codes for misfire on all cylinders

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra Mk5 Z16XEP - Rough idle and fault codes for misfire on all cylinders

Hi All

I've spent the last week or so trawling the wealth of info on this great forum, but I'm still left a bit puzzled with my problem - I'm hoping I can get some suggestions here which are better than my local garage's idea for next steps!

A few weeks back I started getting misfires when starting from cold, which seemed to be cured by driving for a few minutes, switching off for 30 seconds and then it would run smooth as ever. First time it happened I drove straight to the garage, and apparently the tech2 was reporting a misfire in cylinder 1 but nothing else (no sensor error codes).
    They advised to keep driving and see if it gets worse, and to go back in a few days if it did.
    I added some injector cleaner to the existing half tank of petrol and topped up.

After a few days, it started to feel more sluggish so I booked it in. Garage did compression test, all fine and determined it was either the coil pack or sticking valves - advised to replace coil pack and plugs @£250 and see how it goes, so thats what I chose.

On picking up the car, the idle was still a bit rough at times but wasn't making the car rock like it was. Got them to check it before I left, and they agreed it was a bit bumpy but charactaristic of this engine. Agreed to drive away and see how it goes, so I went to put my foot down around a few places.

All seemed ok for 10 minutes until the emissions light came on and starting flashing every time I touched the accelerator. I pulled over, switched off for 30 seconds, started up and all was fine again. Called garage, they said that the diagnosis was still the same and therefore can either leave it a few more days and see what happens or the only other route is for them to strip the head down to de-carbonise it (mega bucks!!).

Next I decided to run down the current tank of Fuel by driving up and down the motorway until the light was flashing, and filled up with BP ultimate. Still not much change until Friday, when I was heading for a 100 mile or so trip, and it started misfiring towards the start of the journey, again emissions light flashing. I pulled over as soon as I could, switched off and on again - all fine and smooth again. Since Friday, it hasn't got that bad again.

Didn't use car saturday, on sunday drove about 50 miles - smooth as ever. Then as planned (needing assitance ) poured 1/4 bottle of redex into the the throttle body with the engine revving, and cleaned the throttle body with carb cleaner as in the how-to provided here!

Drove another 150 miles home, with a quieter sounding engine - but still a little rough at idle when at 900rpm. Because the fault codes were still stored I couldn't tell if there was still a problem as far as the car was concerned, so today got the garage to clear the fault codes for me.

After about another 20 miles of driving the light came back on, so within 5 mins I pulled over to do the pedal test and get the codes.

Its now reporting the same batch of codes again, yet this time I didn't even feel the engine mis-fire, its been smooth other than the rough idle since Friday!

0301-4
    0314 (misfire when low on fuel? haven't been low on fuel since the codes got cleared)
    So, it can't be the coil pack or spark plugs - unless both the old and brand new ones are all faulty...

What else could it be? Anything else I can look out for to give a clue?

I don't fancy spending £800ish to get the head stripped, and thats pretty much the only option I'm given at the moment by the garage and I'm not convinced it will do anything!

Thanks for reading.... looking forward to your input on this challenge!

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Does this engine have an EGR valve? If so then it can cause these exact symptoms if it's sticking/faulty...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the quick response!

Well, thats a good question.. I think it does, but if I'm looking at the right bit - it doesn't look quite so easy as what is shown in the how-to guide. It looks as if it is part of a much bigger chunk of metal, which appears to be the thermostat.

I'm not sure yet (with it being dark) if it can be separated or if the whole thing will have to come off. Does anyone here know if the twinport is different in this area?

Managed to find a picture to explain the part I mean

http://www.vauxhallworldparts.com/pa...php?partid=887

But it seems that vauxhall parts warehouse are selling an EGR separately

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-EGR-V...item2eaa726d65

Though so far I was trying to look for a new gasket to try and clean it at first (if I can figure out how to get it off).

Anyone have any experiences with the taking off the EGR on the Astra H? (it's a 55 plate)

Thanks peeps!

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    EGR should be to the right of the engine bay and not near the thermostat which I believe should be on the left side. EGR is easy to swap yourself, two bolts, unclip the wire loom, refit in reverse, job done. 10 minutes or less. Gasket is likely OK, just a shaped aluminium one. Could try cleaning it first, no harm to be done long term, sometimes works and sometimes doesn't!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks nry, I think I will man-up and give that a go and see what happens!

I'll post back and let you know if I get any results, fingers crossed!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Update: I've not got to taking the EGR valve off yet (thats next) - but my OP-COM finally arrived today so just plugged it in quickly. I have the following readings and hoping its a good sign that you are right, and cleaning/replacing should do the trick

EGR Position Commanded = 0.00%
    EGR Position Feedback = 0.92%
    EGR Feedback = Incorrect

Hopefully that 0.92 is significant enough, and isn't to small of an error to have no effect on the engine. Was going to try to give it a clean first tomorrow, but I'm tempted just to go for the £85 punt and order a new one to be sure.

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    cleaning these units often only gives a temporary result, the part you need to fully replace is Vauxhall Delphi EGR No 24445720 at £101+ vat or £76 +vat for paid up AOC members.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Or get a Delphi one via eBay, mine cost me £65 delivered.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the tips, order placed... so should know in a few days if it does the trick or not. Fingers crossed!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    Or get a Delphi one via eBay, mine cost me £65 delivered.
    cheapest one avail on ebay for a brand spanker is £91 delivered

link for anyone interested for future reference

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-EGR-V...item2a00297d98

Not relevant in this case but didnt want anyone to be misled in thinking could be had for 65 notes etc....

Fingers crossed the EGR sorts your issues - personally though, any running issues on Twinports always instantly get their cams checked as a matter of course due to common breakages on XEP motors (mainly 1.0/.1.2/1.4) but always first port of call.
    HTH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast