Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter

Pay as you go wireless internet dongle

Just having a think, am staying in a Travelodge hotel near Snetterton next week for a night, will have the laptop with me as I will be downloading photos from the camera taken during the BTCC Media Day.

Have booked the hotel, and whilst doing so was asked if I wanted a WiFi voucher included. Prices were £5 for an hour, or £10 for 24 hours. Thought it was a bit steep so opted to not go for it.

Was just wondering though, rather than using their internet, is there any form of pay as you go dongle/usb stick I can buy to use that night which might work out cheaper than using their WiFi connection? If so, recommendations please.

Thanks
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You'll end up wasting money on the dongle tbh

Wait till you get home?

Uploading pictures will use alot of data, probably not worth the effort tbh

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    Wouldn't be using it to upload pics, would be wanting to use it to browse the web, and AOC whilst the pictures are downloading from the camera onto the laptop!
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hard to say if it would be worth it, as you would need to know what the 3g signal strength is like for that area. You might get there and find its crap and you can't get a connection.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    Good point Dave, just checked for Vodafone, who seemed to have a good offer. Unfortunately the area where I will be will only receive standard network services, and not 3G!

Don't think I will bother wasting my time then, if I am that desperate, surely I can buy one of their WiFi vouchers!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Two options really, either pay them the money cause it's cheaper, or if you have internet access on yer phone, share it with yer laptop via bluetooth or cable

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlBundy View Post
    Two options really, either pay them the money cause it's cheaper, or if you have internet access on yer phone, share it with yer laptop via bluetooth or cable
    I was going to suggest that. But not all companies allow you to use your phone as a modem with inclusive data IIRC. Sure I read that before when looking at the T+C's on my vodafone contract.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    I was going to suggest that. But not all companies allow you to use your phone as a modem with inclusive data IIRC. Sure I read that before when looking at the T+C's on my vodafone contract.
    I know O2 dont let you as I asked them, I also asked them if they could tell the difference between me using it on the phone and on the laptop and they said they couldnt tell.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I get unlimited access on my Vodafone contract and I used my nephew's dongle with my laptop for a few weeks when we first moved house while waiting on SKY getting their fingers out. Vodafone never said a word, but then they wouldn't know any different since it's still a 3G connection you are using

Status
    North East RO
    Mentioned in
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Add Chewy. on Facebook
    Ive just bought a vodafone dongle tonight for the purpose of going on courses cost £25 from asda on special and it comes pre loaded with 3Gb which from the bumf on the box = browse for 90 hours, send recieve 1800 plain text emails, watch 90 2 min videos or download 120 music tracks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast