Thread: 20 dti camchains

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

20 dti camchains

hello everyone im a newbie , im looking to buy a 2003 2ltr diesel astra4 the 16v dti its an ex police car, with 66,ooo miles on it very comprehensive service history etc, the owner tells me , the 1.7 was cam belt and the 2ltr camchain, is this right ? thought camchains were usually only on big engines ?second question is having lived with cambelts for the last twenty years and the need to change them every.......miles , does the camchain need replacing? (any vehicle we have had them on before you didnt),and finally are there any special problems i should know about these astra 4s, i have read your guide (excellent)but it doesnt say much about the humble diesels , (perhaps thats a good sign) the chap i am buying from was goin to get a plug in upgrade for it , any advice on these would also be helpful,
    thank you for any help you can give me ,
    Stiff

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have had my astra van for a few years now , im a courier and my van has done 220.000 mile on the same engine and chain, only real problem i have had with mine is smoking but i have had the egr cleaned and the inlet mainfold done too helped with the smoke and better throttle responce, needs doing again soon i think.